• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recommend a HITCH

99GeeP

NAXJA Forum User
I am in need of a class III hitch. All I usually tow are snowmobile trailers and the boat. Any favorites out there.

I just remember installing the last one on the 96 Classic. PITA. Will installation be easier on a 99? Still have to fish the bolts throught the frames?

Thanks.

I have a hidden hitch. Fit was perfect. Get the left side nut-strip from the dealer or online. The right side is already there on the '99.

Glen

DaJudge said:
I have a hidden hitch. Fit was perfect. Get the left side nut-strip from the dealer or online. The right side is already there on the '99.

Glen

X2 on Hidden Hitch. Their design tucks most of the hitch up and out of the way, So you don't have a lot exposed to hang you up on rocks etc.

Where can you find the nut strips online? Been looking and can't seem to locate them. My local dealer said they can't get them anymore !?

Don't know. I bought mine from the dealer. Sorry

Glen

I believe this is the part you need, Chry PN 5200 1174-5
fa19a054.jpg

Try the junkyard for sure. I got an oem class III for $50. You can for sure find the nut strips from the junkyard for a good price.

tgoff said:
Try the junkyard for sure. I got an oem class III for $50. You can for sure find the nut strips from the junkyard for a good price.
Amen! I think I paid $25 for mine since I was willing to pull it off the rust bucket it was on by myself! Just get some wire to fish the nuts through for the driver's side, it's not that bad!

dspilot said:
Nut strips are definately overrated.

When the hitch begins to pull through the "frame" rails come back and tell me if you still feel the Nut Strips are overrated.

When I got my XJ it had a lighter Class II hitch mounted by U-Haul with the fish through bolts. It had started tearing through the frame in the back holes. It took grinding off the nuts with a Dremel because all the fish through bolt anchoring plates were weaker than the rust that had formed between the nuts and bolts and just spun when trying to remove them.

I would not think of trusting a class III hitch without the nut rails!!!

Bones :skull1:

I used some 1/4 inch square plates instead of washers,2 inches long that I made at my shop because I couldn't locate nut strips and I don't believe that is as strong as the strip,only because one anchor-bolt supports the others.And yes,it is that important to properly mount on a uni-body frame rail.Do it right the first time because re doing it will really suck when the holes are ripped out!

ukdkbr said:
Where can you find the nut strips online? Been looking and can't seem to locate them. My local dealer said they can't get them anymore !?
Call these guys, and tell them what your looking for. The part is on the website, but it's hard to find unless you have the part number. I would get both sides. You're more than likely going to break the bolt out on the passenger side one trying to get the exhaust hanger off.

Spray the hell out of the eight bolts that hold the bumper brackets on. They will have to come off to install it.

Oh, and mine too had the little fish through thinges, and they where starting to pull though.

Last edited:
Back