• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax

Ben H

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, now I have praised this locker a lot in the past (even this morning), and have come across my first problem with it. It is a powertrax no-slip for a 29 spline 8.25 rear end. I have taken this thing apart and put it back together maybe 15 times since I've owned it for various reasons (I know how to work on it).

Yesterday, I took it all apart looking for the source of my rear end vibes (I found one chromolly axle shaft with some twisted splines, source of my vibes), then I put it all back together again, with new springs and the usual 85w140 gear oil. Then I took it for a test drive and it seemed good.

This morning I backed it out of my garage and got a series of loud bangs, which is not normal. I pulled out of the driveway and it was acting fine. Then while leaving school, it popped again just like earlier this morning.

My question is: What would cause this in reverse only? If the paddles were faq'ed up then wouldnt it happen while in drive. Also do you think that a twisted axle shaft could have messed the locker up? It all looked good and the new axle slid right in.

I am going out now and tearing it down again, to see if I screwed something up installing it yesterday, and am hoping that there are no bits of metal in the oil.
:confused:
Please post up if symptoms are familar to you.

Thanks,
Ben

XJumpmaster said:
Make sure you replace the springs! Especially now that it is spinning the active spacers! I didn't and all it did was compound the problem and now have no no-slip.

Thanks for the response. I did replace the springs even though they were only 4 months old. I have one last set of spares, that I will be throwing in today.

I am rattleing my brain thinking of what I could have done wrong.
I am out to pull it all again. I can only help my ability to fix this thing faster on the trail (like a speed trial for a weapon breakdown).

Broken paddle! Where can I get parts for this, Randy's Ring and Pinion?

For the sake of tech on a subject that doesn’t happen much, from what I understand. This locker has been in and out of many Central Sierra trails, Johnson Valley, and numerous trips in large rocks on a private ranch on the central coast. This locker was in a previous axle for 2 years (unsure of driving or wheeling habits) before it was installed into the current axle.

It has seen 4 years of some hard wheeling and daily driving (nearly 75,000 miles), but I think it has had enough. The photos below are of a Powertrax No-Slip Locker out of a Chrysler 8.25, 29 spline axle. The axle shaft that was in contact with the parts below, was pulled and had twisted splines when pulled. I am uncertain of the cause of this malfunction, which could be due to the axle shaft twisting, improper assembly, wear and tear and fatigue, or has simply lived it's life. I have been very impressed with this unit, and will continue to run it, or a replacement.

I have temporarily replaced this locker with the factory spider gears, which I almost sold, but my better judgement told me to keep them as trail spares in case of an instance like this, I recommend keeping the spider gears for this reason.

Parts can be found at Randy's Ring and Pinion: Ringpinion.com
Summit.com

The paddle part number is: 624014SEH2

Picture of the cracked passenger side Outer Coupler:
paddlecrack.jpg

Picture of the broken Active Spacer
SUC50040-2.jpg

:cheers:

P.S. Upon further review of the cracked outer coupler, there is a hairline fracture throughout the side of the coupler. Which leads me to believe that this malfunction is from the axle shaft itself.

I cant say for certain whether or not this would have happened if I had stock shafts in, but having chromo shafts sure didnt help this locker. I would have much rather replaced a shaft, rather than the locker, but it looks like I am out both.

Warmest regards and best of wishes to all you 8.25 owners.

Anyone got an 8.8 for sale?

I also had a twisted drivers side axle shaft splines with my stock shafts? No slip quit working and I had grinding sounds coming from the back. I thought I needed new springs, which I put in, but still had the problem. When I regeared to 4.56 about 2 weeks later, we discovered the broken splines. Funny thing is I hadn't even been wheeling in months, just driving on the street? Anyway, new gears are awsome and Powertrax is working perfectly once again. Great product. Good luck with your new one.

Ahhhh, the good old broken paddle.

Mine broke as a result of improper assembly. The center pin got forced back in. That, combined with the fact that it might not have been lined up right, lead to it. When I out mine back together now, I baby it, and it becomes more like a surgery than car mechanics.

You beat me to it, but I got all my replacement parts from Summit. Getting the parts was still cheaper thab buying a whole new or different locker.

I just got done dealing with my No-Slip again, since the stupid c-clip wouldn't drop out. I ended up having to drill and grind it out, but that is another story.

Back