• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4L 89 Cherokee running a bit rough?????

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is having some issues...the idle is screwed up, when i start the jeep it sometimes idles really high and stays like that for a while, or it idles high then drops low and dies if i drive off. also when im parked idling the engine seems to be running really rough..

recently 3 of the fuel injectors were replaced and the a new alternator and serpentine belt were installed..

also i find it very hard to check the oil, its always really high on one side but low on the other??

any suggestions on what i can do would be great!

run a can of Seafoam through the throttle body or the vaccum hose from the brake booster, check the condition of the exhaust, replace the o2 sensor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor button

Its your IAC or idle air controller, it bypasses air around the throttle body, and they get sticky when they get old. You can try pulling it and some lubrimacation, or just buy a new one, but they are a couple bucks if I remember.

well i cleaned out the IAC and im still having the same problems

I replaced my serpentine belt a couple weeks ago and the jeep was running fine then after it was tightened this started to happen, the serpentine belt was a bit tight so it has been loosened now, i have had it checked by a mechanic and says its the perfect tightness..

so when i start it up it will idle high and either stay high while im driving or it starts high then drops low, and if i dont let it heat up the jeep will die when i drive off, but if i let it warm up it runs fine..

tighten intake exhaust manifold bolts :) adjust tps. you may be suprised at all the bolts underneath. same problem with mine. some were halfway out. good luck.

blazinjames said:
My jeep is having some issues...the idle is screwed up, when i start the jeep it sometimes idles really high and stays like that for a while, or it idles high then drops low and dies if i drive off. also when im parked idling the engine seems to be running really rough..

recently 3 of the fuel injectors were replaced and the a new alternator and serpentine belt were installed..

also i find it very hard to check the oil, its always really high on one side but low on the other??

any suggestions on what i can do would be great!

try your tps mine was reving up when it got hot and a friend of mine had the same problem and we changed it and adjusted and and they run fine now

Back