• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans install

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
ok trying to install the trans (peugot) to the back of the engine 4.0 (renix) on a 89 xj. the problem is i cant get the trans to bolt on the engine so i can install both into the car. i have tried to keep the pressure plate loose so i can move the clutch around but it doesnt move when i dont touch it and have used the install tool to line up everything but nothing works i cant get it close enough to start the threads. i am pretty sure the splines line up but i am not sure if the pilot bushing is lining up correctly or its just a tight fit. any suggestions would be very useful about now because i am so frustrated with this p.o.s. i want to just push it off a cliff.

u didnt say if it had an auto before, but i think to put std in u need to machine crank to a bigger size. Ill look for specs.

have u checked the pilot bushing?

Did you use a plastic alignment tool, or something tougher? I tend to throw away those "tools" that come with the clutch kits - they're just blow-moulded plastic. I have an input shaft from a T-9 that I cut off to a total length of 8", and that thing WORKS.

If you can't get something like that (got mine from a transmission shop for free - they had it in the rubbish bin,) take some care to make sure the plastic thing isn't flexing.

And, you might find it helpful to install studs in the upper holes - they're threaded 3/8"-16. If not, you'll still want to know that so you can get rid of those E12 bolts that are so damn frustrating - if you don't replace them with studs, replacing them with hex heads or socket heads is a viable option (although hex heads will make servicing easier...)

5-90

ok i will try and fab a tool like or get one like that because those plastic alignment tools ARE worthless. already am using the hex head bolts on his car but studs are not a bad idea to try either. any other ideas that could be holding back the engine from mounting to the trans? anyone???

Back