• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering seems tough

Herble

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought my first Jeep. It's a 2001 XJ Classic with 68K miles. It's the wife's rig and we like it so far. Like most things we looked at them for a while, didn't test drive many and bought this one pretty much as soon as we found it. I've been building off roaders for some time now, one FJ and several IH Scout's but have no plans for doing much other than driving our new rig.

So with that said I think our PS should be better. It seems too tough to turn, there is no odd spots while turning. I.E. no easy points, no points within the turn that are harder etc. We've only had it for a week and I have not had the time to take a look at it. Is there a problem that seems to show up with the PS and these vehicles? I'm going to look at the fluid level obviously and the steering damper. Anything else? It's not sloppy and it doesn't wander.

Other than that we are happy with it, a little better MPG would be great but it's still better than my injected Scout so I can't complain too much.

Back