• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.2 connecting rod diffrences help

traitor5150

NAXJA Forum User
Im building a stroker And the rods that the machine shop is willing to sell me have diffrent casting numbers 3 are one number 3 are diffrent. the person there says they interchange in his book and should be fine should I worry?? I read somewhere that all the amc 258 rods are the same except the oldest ones that weight more.

If they are straight and in otherwise good condition.....and are of equal weight....you basically are good to go.....I strongly advise new HD ARP rod bolts, and a close magnaflux inspection....a step better would be to shot peen and deburr them....the stock rods are pretty good, but they are made of iron, not steel.

MudDawg said:
If they are straight and in otherwise good condition.....and are of equal weight....you basically are good to go.....I strongly advise new HD ARP rod bolts, and a close magnaflux inspection....a step better would be to shot peen and deburr them....the stock rods are pretty good, but they are made of iron, not steel.

I have four 707 rods and two 352 rods in my stroker. They were magnafluxed, shotpeened, and I weight-matched them all to 695g each. I also used ARP 112-6001 rod bolts. The engine's virtually vibration-free at 5000rpm. My old 4.0 was raucous above 4500rpm but the stroker's a honey by comparison.

MudDawg said:

I agree!:yelclap:

What do you guys think of reconditioned 4.2L rods, think that they have been magnafluxed, shot peened, and balanced? These are supposed to go in a 4.7L stroker with about a 10:1 CR.

JT

Depends on who did the work.....crappy answer huh??? The standard "reconditioning" process varys widely, often ending up with out of round big end....so....have them inspected for tolerance lenght, etc. What will work ok in Granny's Gremlin may come unglued in a hot rod stroker...

Back