• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no brake lights???

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
fuses are good. bulbs are good.

but no power at the bulbs.

its 88 xj 4.0 was a 5spd peugeot but just swapped to aw4.
any ideas?

dumb question but where is the brake light switch?

and i left the clutch pedal in for now. cuz it looked like more work then i wanted to deal with at the time.

all the other lights work, running lights, signals, hazards, reverse... just no brakes.
i'm really getting frustrated with this thing. the past 2 weeks it seems i no sooner fix one problem. and 2 more pop up.

brake light switch is hooked to the back of the brake pedel.

oh by the way theres no dumb Q's just dumb Answers.

well got it workin! thanks for the brake switch tip. turns out i didn't hook it up when i swapped the engine harness out when i did the trans swap... my bad ;) some of the frustrations are gone now :D

now onto the front axle ujoints.

Last edited:
Removing the brake pedal is fairly easy. Undo the bolt, slide it out until the pedal falls out and hits you on the head. As I recall, I put the bushing back in and pushed the bolt back through and tightened it up. I was tempted to leave it there, but it was bouncing around and annoying me. Every once in awhile I still try to push that non-existant pedal in when I start the engine.

When you swapped to the AW4 did you install the extra brake pedal switch that tells the TCU to unlock the torque converter? The mounting bracket on the switch I grabbed was messed up, so instead I stuck a relay in there thats triggered from the brakelights.

lawsoncl said:
When you swapped to the AW4 did you install the extra brake pedal switch that tells the TCU to unlock the torque converter? The mounting bracket on the switch I grabbed was messed up, so instead I stuck a relay in there thats triggered from the brakelights.

i'll definitly get around to taking the clutch pedal out and putting the auto brake pedal in. i was just at the point of being sick of working on the damn jeep :D

as for the other switch. no i didn't swap that over. i was basically going of bits and peices of knowledge that was posted by others that did the swap. And never heard mention of this. NOt sure if its totally needed. It seems to drive and act like a normal factory equip't auto xj.

might stall the motor when coming to a stop though.
I vote for keeping the clutch pedal, it's got to be good entertainment value for passengers and people that borrow it.

not something i'm gonna worry about until it causes a problem. as it stands it runs and drives like my buddy's oem equip'd aw4 I6 so thats good enuff for me :D

hahah i'll keep the clutch pedal in there for a bit as its not a pressing issue.
i got bigger fish to fry right now like regearing and swapping in my d44 i've been building.

Back