• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building My Custom Roof Rack

SpazMoid

NAXJA Forum User
Well, this is my 2nd go around for building a roof rack. I built one before out of 1" square tube, and it was thrown together in about 30mins without much consideration for weight, and looks. It worked awsome for the time I wanted it, but I felt it was too heavy.

Today I wanted to do another one, and being the only day off in like 2 weeks, i felt i wanted to get going. I bought 4 1" Pipe Tube from D&B Welding (cause i get discount there) and then headed down to Harbor Freight Tools to grab the 12 Ton Pipe Bender. OMG the pipe bender works like a dream, I was quite impressed.

On this one, I wanted a few functions. I wanted a place to mount about 6-8 KC's in the front with 2 of them facing off to the sides, but I wanted them to be protected, so when going into heavy brush i don't loose a $50.00 light due to a branch. I also wanted a place I could store my water proof storage bags for ie. tent, gear, whatnot, and then in the rear a open area for my spare and shovel/gas tanks.

In the following pictures, is a step process that i did. I am not completed yet, i'll do more tommorow evening, I still need to weld in the front light holders, and the rear light holders, and bracketry for the spare/gas holders, and paint it / finish it up.

Curious to see what you all think. I made up to this in 3 hours, and about $80.00 in metal.

P2140048.jpg

P2140049.jpg

P2140050.jpg

P2140051.jpg

P2140052.jpg

P2140053.jpg

P2140054.jpg

P2140055.jpg

P2140056.jpg

P2140057.jpg

P2140058.jpg

P2140059.jpg

And just to answer any further questions about the 2 cars in the background....

The one with the whitewall tires is a 1941 Pontiac, 80% restored, and the one with the frame is a 1952 MG TD, in parts... Currently being built.

Let me know what you all think, i'll post more of the finished product tommorow evening. And I did weigh this, and right now it comes out to be 83lbs.... i'm assuming it will be about 87lbs with the added attachments, Which dry weight is less than the ARB roof mounts.

Nicely done, looks store bought. I just purchased that same bender and have yet to unbox it. I was curious as to how the bends would look and was impressed with the bends on your rack. I can't wait to use mine. Nice job.

Jeremy,

You purchase the metal, maybe get your butt over here with some drinks, and i'll build you one no problem. I really enjoy doing this type of work. I didn't write it down on paper, it was all in my head, and i went with it. I mixed ideas from the GOBI rack and the ARB rack.
The tube bender worked awsome, and as it says on the box it can only bend up to 180degrees, this is not true, it goes much further than that, at least with this type of steel.
Once i get it painted and all it will definatly look "store bought". Thanks for the compliment on the "professional rack" that is what i'm striving for on this one

Spaz said:
Jeremy,

You purchase the metal, maybe get your butt over here with some drinks, and i'll build you one no problem. I really enjoy doing this type of work. I didn't write it down on paper, it was all in my head, and i went with it. I mixed ideas from the GOBI rack and the ARB rack.
The tube bender worked awsome, and as it says on the box it can only bend up to 180degrees, this is not true, it goes much further than that, at least with this type of steel.
Once i get it painted and all it will definatly look "store bought". Thanks for the compliment on the "professional rack" that is what i'm striving for on this one

How much was the stock?

The 4 sections of Stock cam to be $63.00. I should have gotten 1 more piece, but i had other metal laying around. If i were to built another one i'd need 5

The engraved metal, i already had, but i picked that up from a place down in seattle for $22.00. It was a 4x8ft sheet. I used most of it on the last rack that i made, what was used this time was the extra i had left over, but IMO i think the less engraved metal the better, i like how this one is half and half.

Looks VERY nice.

I built a similar rack a number of years ago, I used plate for the uprights instead of tube, but very similar.

I suspect that you will find that the mesh is the heavy part of the rack. If you really want to save weight you might look for a lighter composite type material (obviously something you can change any time).

I am more curiouse as to how you intend on mounting it on the roof?

What gauge is the pipe? I suspect it is pretty thick wall? because those pipe benders work much better with thick wall material than thin wall in my experience.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Looks VERY nice.

I built a similar rack a number of years ago, I used plate for the uprights instead of tube, but very similar.

I suspect that you will find that the mesh is the heavy part of the rack. If you really want to save weight you might look for a lighter composite type material (obviously something you can change any time).

I am more curiouse as to how you intend on mounting it on the roof?

What gauge is the pipe? I suspect it is pretty thick wall? because those pipe benders work much better with thick wall material than thin wall in my experience.

Michael

So it's Done guys....

Just wanted to shout out to you Michael. The Engraved Metal sheeting on top is extremly light weight, it is not thick, but is extremly sturdy, it probably weighs about 4lbs. The pipe I used is 1" OD, Pipe, with a 1/8" wall.

As for mounting it an such, just read on....

This 1st pic is the front lighting mounting brackets. I have put 7 of them up front, 5 for facing frontwards, and 2 in the corners so i can aim each of them off to the sides.
P2150026.jpg

The pic is of the rear lighting brackets. They will face towards the cornering, so it will give a rear/side light up.
P2150027.jpg

This is the High Lift Mounts..
P2150028.jpg

And now it's time for the paint. I used a normal primer / Rust - Oleum sp? Semi Black
P2150029.jpg

Now the danting task of mounting it to the roof. I wanted to mount it in a way where there was only about 1/2" - 1" from the roof, for clearance purposes. I know some of you will disagree with the way I mounted it, but there are reasons for it.

With my last rack I used 8 Thule Feet on Thule Bars, that were gutter mounts, this was fine and all, but I found it was alot of added weight, and it was stealable. This time I wanted to make it perminate, and the only way to get it off would be to cut it off. I welded it to the gutter rails. I used 1/8" Steel Plate in 4" sections and mounted 5 feet on each side. As a test I jumped up and down and rocked it side to side, and it doesn't budge.
P2150032.jpg

Pics of the Passenger side, mounting
P2150033.jpg

FINALLY after about 10hours of work, it is complete :)
P2150035.jpg

P2150039.jpg

P2150041.jpg

And this is a shot of my ugly butt on top of the rack... I'm so happy it's done, finished at about 1am this morning.
P2150038.jpg

Took it for a test drive, and it really doesn't seem to have much of a roll then it used to. I'm excited to get it on a trail and see how it works. Next friday will be payday for the lights, i'll post up... Should be running about 900watts on the rack, and 450watts on the body.... Lights won't be an issue with me :)

I also got myself a police spot search light that i'm going to install soon...

If anyone wants one similar to this rack made.... I'd do it for ya, you just got to supply the metal, and give me a design you are thinking of....

Looks very nice!!

I think your tie-in's to the gutters is an excellent way of mounting (I planned on doing the same for my gutter sliders/cage).

I can tell from the more recent photos that you are useing a different type of metal mesh than what I thought (my comment about it being heavy is obviously not appropriate).

Very nicely done.
Michael

Looks awesome and super stout. Nice fab skills. Liked the angy Ben picture on the rack. I said to myself, "That can't be Ben. He's such a nice boy." Great Job. :yelclap:BTW is your welder gas or flux core?

Jeremy

I have 3 welders.

I have a Gas Mig, A Flux Core Mig, and a 110 Buzzbox arc welder. I prefer the Flux Core Mig over the others, as I lay the best bead on that.

I also have a Cutting torch, and Oxy/Acl touch.

Spaz said:
if anyone wants one similar to this rack made.... I'd do it for ya, you just got to supply the metal, and give me a design you are thinking of....

I think I'll hit you up for that offer sometime next month

Back