• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 SYE

woodywagon

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know where I can get a SYE for a NP242. Like the t-case, but not the slip yoke.
87 XJ Wagoneer renix 4.0 custom 59.2mm throtle body/spacer, custom air intake. Wanting to install 4.0lift & 33 X 12.5

RE1801 is the hack and tap for the 242. Simple and straight forward install. You can use a stock front DS for the rear at 4 inches, you will need the spicer flange to mate it to the flange output on the sye. I have the pn laying around if you need it.

I got my 242 SYE from Tom Woods. You send him your output shaft as a core. Workin well so far.....:sunshine:

uncc civilengineer said:
Are you sure... I though the Hack&Tap was the only option for the 242...

Or atleast that's what I did w/ a Tom Woods shaft.

Chris

1801 is a Hack and Tap.

89jeepxjw said:
RE1801 is the hack and tap for the 242. Simple and straight forward install. You can use a stock front DS for the rear at 4 inches, you will need the spicer flange to mate it to the flange output on the sye. I have the pn laying around if you need it.

Using a front shaft depends on height and what rearend you have. A front shaft was too short for me, 242/D35/@3". Front shaft was out of an AW4/231 XJ. It just wouldn't work, I could connect it but there was little to no slip left in the splines.

If you do use a front shaft with the hack and tap, you will need Spicer# 211229x to mate the DS with the hack and tap flange.

Hale

ChuckstrPT said:
I got my 242 SYE from Tom Woods. You send him your output shaft as a core. Workin well so far.....:sunshine:

My HnT has worked great also everybit as good as my old AA HD SYE on my 231, well both have/were perfect, lol.

I was told TW won't make a shaft for a HnT SYE, but high angle driveline will. My HAD shaft is beefier than my old TW anyways.

ZachMan said:
My HnT has worked great also everybit as good as my old AA HD SYE on my 231, well both have/were perfect, lol.

I was told TW won't make a shaft for a HnT SYE, but high angle driveline will. My HAD shaft is beefier than my old TW anyways.

That is true, just dont tell Tom Woods you're using the H&T. OR what I should have done is support you local Driveshaft shop and keep the money in your community!

Haleyes said:
Using a front shaft depends on height and what rearend you have. A front shaft was too short for me, 242/D35/@3". Front shaft was out of an AW4/231 XJ. It just wouldn't work, I could connect it but there was little to no slip left in the splines.

If you do use a front shaft with the hack and tap, you will need Spicer# 211229x to mate the DS with the hack and tap flange.

Hale
I have had great succes with every one that I have done under 4". Two of four had the 8.25 with the pinion being longer but the other two were 35's and still had plenty of travel. I guess it just all depends what lift your actually getting. All of these were on RE 3.5 and netted about 4 1/4 inches of actual lift and all donor shafts were out of aw4 jeeps. Mine on FT 6" came up short by about 2 inches but my jeep probably sits around 7". I guess some set ups work and some dont :)

ChuckstrPT said:

X2!!

I just sent my core back so there is one there right now. I know that the cores are hard to come by now.

ZachMan said:
high angle driveline will. My HAD shaft is beefier than my old TW anyways.
High Angle? they out of AZ?? If so, I'm pretty sure I broke one of theirs under my SAMURAI...70hp, 4:1, 3.73's, locker, and 32's.....
I did have an axle wrap issue, but lets not talk about that!:shhh: It was actually a very beefy piece.

=======================
OR what I should have done is support you local Driveshaft shop and keep the money in your community!
=========================

I just tell my shop what I want. What I got handily. He tells me what to get and bring to him. Then 2 to 4 days and 110 bucks later I got what I need. Don't ask a lot of questions, Don't offer to help. He charges more if you want to watch. DON'T TELL HIM HOW TO DO HIS JOB. Else he is a sweetly to deal with.:)

New output assembly (tail cone, shaft). You do not have to use the "flange" type adaptor on your rear driveshaft where it connects to the SYE.

EDIT: I believe since you're pre 96' you have to take your case apart anyway, so my as well go ahead and do the heavy duty kit while you're in there. But I may be wrong about taking it apart.

uncc civilengineer said:
New output assembly (tail cone, shaft). You do not have to use the "flange" type adaptor on your rear driveshaft where it connects to the SYE.

EDIT: I believe since you're pre 96' you have to take your case apart anyway, so my as well go ahead and do the heavy duty kit while you're in there. But I may be wrong about taking it apart.

You are wrong, you dont have to take it apart or even out of the rig to the use the hack and tap

i have the mit sye on my 242 pricey but holds up good here is the #16195797727

Back