• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker coming for the 8.25

OCMI_Teddy

NAXJA Forum User
I contacted Aussie Locker asking if they were going to make a locker for the 8.25 and this is what I got.
"We appreciate your interest in the Aussie Locker. We will have the Chrysler 8.25 29 spline locker in USA inventory by late April if the current production schedule holds."

So for you 8.25 guys out there the wait will soon be over. I'm really excited because I havn't wanted to spend $290+ for a locker and I've heard really good things about the Aussie.:cheers:

The wait will be over for those wanting an aussie specifically because powertrax and Detroit EZ lockers have been available for a while.

You know josh, its interesting.

I know that you have an ez locker in your 8.25.. I've held it in my hand and read the label.

I've never seen another ez locker for the 8.25, and no matter how hard I search, I can't find a record of a part number for it.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I got pretty much the same answer a little over a year ago.

I don't think that the production schedule held...

well that just poped my bubble.....

mjma said:
I wouldn't get your hopes up. I got pretty much the same answer a little over a year ago.

Yeah, same here. They told me it would be available last summer. I finally gave up and found an excellent deal on a super 35 with a detroit. I may buy one for my front 30 though. I've also heard a lot of good things about them.

azranger said:
Yeah, same here. They told me it would be available last summer. I finally gave up and found an excellent deal on a super 35 with a detroit. I may buy one for my front 30 though. I've also heard a lot of good things about them.

After buying/selling a lock-rite, since I originally assumed that my 96 XJs 8.25 had 27 splines (doh!), and then waiting around for a while for an aussie to come out for the 29 spliner, I just ditched the 8.25 all together! The pinion was leaking and I didn't want to deal with the possible bearings issues. I found a junkyard XJ44, and threw an aussie locker in it, and discs brakes. Couldn't be happier.

Sorry to burst your bubble Teddy....

Whats the big deal with the aussie? I have a second owner powertrax, and has held up to some hard abuse. I just dont get it? Not locking your rear in "hope" that a company might make a locker for your application, cmon get to wheeling.

cal said:
You know josh, its interesting.

I know that you have an ez locker in your 8.25.. I've held it in my hand and read the label.

I've never seen another ez locker for the 8.25, and no matter how hard I search, I can't find a record of a part number for it.

Emailed Eaton/Detroit and here's your answer

Subject: RE: Performance Product Question

We do not have an EZ Locker for that application

Sincerely.

John Sonnefeldt

Sales Manager
Eaton Performance Products
8101 Slater Drive
Rockford, IL 61108

mjma said:

Same here, but more like 2 or 3 years ago when I asked.

This topic is getting just as bad as the "Rusty's Trackbar" threads.....

hasta hasta

We just confirmed with the factory that the Chrysler 8.25 29 spline locker is in the April manufacturing schedule. We will be posting further information as it becomes available. We appreciate the continued interest in the Aussie Locker.

I've read a lot of threads on people waiting for this locker. What makes it so much better than what's already out there?

Yea I've been waiting for over 2 years now, I even have the original December 2004 email lol.

splitz said:
I've read a lot of threads on people waiting for this locker. What makes it so much better than what's already out there?
aussies post on pirate in '03 pertaining to the same question
There are many differences between the Aussie Locker and the competition!

A few are:

Powertrax/Lock Right have for many years touted their "Shear Pins". They state that their pins are designed to shear/break when the locker gets in a certain position within the case. The so called "benefit" is that the pins break and not the locker. Aussie Locker takes a different design approach and designs our locker so that if it is properly installed, the locker will not get in the position that causes pins to break, therefore "No Shear Pins" in the Aussie Locker...our pins are designed to last the life of the locker.

Lock Right has patents and has touted their "spring-within-a-spring design. The Aussie Locker uses a robust spring that does not need two to provide strength and reliability. The EZ locker uses a little "top hat" to fit in the end of their spring". Fewer parts means higher reliability. Point to the Aussie Locker.

Lock Right and EZ use a design that have holes (windows) drilled in the sides of the axle gears and cam gears. Aussie Locker engineers feel that holes create opportunities for breakage and we do not use this design and have patents pending to cover our approach. We eliminate 8 side holes in our design. The use of these holes also requires little tunnels in the gears, close to the walls of the gear, where the pin and springs fit and we do not like that for reliability.

We use a teeth depth and angles for our product that our engineers have determined to be appropriate for the noise level, smoothness and reliability of our product. Other manufacturers use their own designs.

The Aussie Locker cam angles are of our design resulting in a design that meets our product objectives.

The Aussie Locker product undergoes a special and propriatary heat treating process to ensure long life and reliability.

Aussie Locker has a 100% quality audit under electronic microscopes where we measure specification conformance to the micron level. We will leave it to other manufacturers to specify their own quality level, but we are quite confident that ours is the best in the industry.

The Aussie Locker has the best warranty in the industry, with no "get out of jail free" cards the manufacturer can pull out if you have larger than OEM tires or high horsepower.

As to the pricing, why must a lower cost product been suspect as to quality? We sell direct to the end user through our web site. Our advertising is primarily on the web vs. the costly print media used by our competitors. And we understand that most of our customers do not have a lot of cash to throw around, so why charge them a high price, just because you can?

TorqMasters Technology Inc. is not some billion dollar company where lockers are not even worthy of a mention in the annual report. We are off roaders like our customers. When was the last time anyone saw the President of Detroit Locker or Richmond Gear out on the trail with their customers?

We set out to design a product that met "our" own traction requirements and we have successfully done so.

As soon as its out I'm buying :D

Back