• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

body swap questions...

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is kaput. I am tired of messing around with all of it and want a streetable camping rig. SO, I body swap! Well.. damn details suck.

I am picking up a new rig this weekend and it has a 4banger in it. Its an 88. My basic plans are to do a full body swap from my jeep to this one. I have a 6cyl. The prob I THINK I may have is wiring issue. Let me play it out so you motor heads can help me out.

Juggy has 4.0 (3k miles on rebuild) and an auto. I built the wiring harness for the jeep. I did NOT mess to much with the computer harness, just the dash and accessories. I did eliminate the egr and smog stuff.

The MJ has a 4cyl (blown head gasket) and 4spd. Obviously my motor will not just "plug" in.

The question is this.

Buy a new or used vehicle harness for the MJ so I can use the brand new 6cyl that has no provisions for an autp tranny and get BrettMs shifter kit. Buy a new or used vehicle harness that has ALL the options on it for the MJ.
Or fix the 4cyl and bolt the auto up to it.

I THINK I will be money ahead if i just get a whole new harness for the MJ that has the motor, acc., dash, lights, etc built into it then just plug it in and go. Finding a used harness in good condition for an MJ will prove to be difficult I am sure. Buying new will eat my what little cash I have AND my wallet!

Any tips or tricks for those who have done funky swaps?

Never done this myself, but how about getting a good condition used 4.0L XJ harness and putting it into your MJ. Surely, the main changes you will need to make will all be behind the seats - tank, pump and tail lights. Should be easy to shorten, lengthen, splice without having to use any new plugs or sockets.

Just for your information, I am putting a '93 XJ harness in my '88 MJ. I did not finish this yet, but I see no reason why it won't work. I used the '88 dash, but swapped in the '93 dash harness. I am probably not going to use the '93 XJ engine harness as I plan to swap in a v8, but I do have the dash/interior harness ready to go as if I was going to use the '93 engine harness. I am utilizing '88 MJ wiring from the LF rocker panel area back as it is essentially the same as '91 MJ issue with different connectors. I had to change two body connectors from the '93 dash to the '88 MJ body harnesses...and extend one of them. They didn't make an MJ in '93, so I have factory manuals from a '93XJ and a '92XJ/MJ and a Clymer manual for an '88XJ/MJ. I also had to modify the '93 XJ steering column wiring connection to match the MJ brake light configuration. Pretty easy actually. :) Anyway, my point is that most of the MJ body wiring can be used with a XJ dash harness if you are handy. Jeff

Have you looked into a Hot Rod type harness from Painless or someone similar? That would get you all new wireing and fuse block with each wire marked and most of the appropriate plugs if they have them. I don't think they are real expensive either.

Back