• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranfer-case skid-plate clunk

Dmanti

NAXJA Forum User
I had found that my transfer-case was banging into my transfer-case skidplate on the front-driveshaft side. My motor and transmission mounts are all in good shape. My skid-plate is also not bent. The transfer-case bangs when I am facing down a hill and then reverse up it in 2hi/4hi/4lo. What could be causing this?

Also... the only other 'problem' I have is in full-time it will bind (It can be felt through the steering) only in reverse while turning. Checked front axle u-joints... maybe these are related... gimme some input.

1999 XJ 61K - AW4 NP242 Dana30 Chry8.25 stock

This clunk happens easily enough for me to think it's something that shouldn't be happening, instead of a Jeep quirk I will have to get used to. It was sent through a local shop when I first got the XJ a month ago, for 60k checkup and they said suspension was tight (which it is). Maybe u-bolts on rear-axle are loose (I'll be checking that tonight)?

The transfer-case doesn't have any marks from bouncing off the skid-plate...
depending on which way the engine rotates I'd think the engine was torquing the transfer case onto the skid-plate, but I had the shop check out the mounts while I had it there...

The uphill reversing noise that you described is a symptom characteristic for NP242 equipped XJ's with T/Case skid and broken left-side mount. I haven't heard of NP231 being so helpful with this early warning sign as there is slightly more clearance under the 231.

Check that your motor mounts haven't collapsed. If your motor mounts are old, and the left-side mount is starting to give way, it will eventually lead to a cracked header in a month or two.

I'll have to double check the motor mount and see. I inspected it, and so did the shop, looks fine. I'll just tell the shop to do the motor mounts anyway... maybe you can't tell they are shot. The motor mounts are only 60,000 miles old... and wasn't taken off-road.

Dmanti said:
I inspected it, and so did the shop, looks fine. I'll just tell the shop to do the motor mounts anyway... maybe you can't tell they are shot.

My mount separated and couldn't be seen by a quick visual. I propped the hood open, put it in 4 low, and gently added throttle while holding the brake. I could spot the motor trying to rotate up and over from the drivers seat.

The shop I had taken the XJ to had tested the motor mounts by holding the brake and hitting the gas, turned out fine.

I took it back too them today, and they said that the motor mounts and tranny mount were both good. They are a good shop (no one is 100%) but... they ended up putting 3 washers on each bolt. It doesn't bang at all now, but I am having problems living with that setup. Could the rear suspension have a problem I should look for? Since the np242 is larger... did it come with a different skid-plate?

I hate that setup anyway, I wonder if I would have the same problems with the warn skid-plate... more spacers.

This is what I get for getting a shiny XJ instead of a beater.

Back