• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Common XJ Noises?

JeepDawg

NAXJA Forum User
I just upgraded from an 85XJ to an 01. Having ridden in the 85 since '85, this 01 feels like a luxury car! Love it! I bought it with 85K on the clock. It's pretty quiet compared to my carburated 85, but I do hear some slight rattling while idling - not sure whether the engine bay or tranny. Anyway, is this type of noise fairly common? Like I said, I'm actually very impressed with how quiet everything is. But a common complaint is the noise. I'm just trying to get a sense for what noises are common, and what noises suggest that something needs more attention - especially since this is used. Many tks!

Without acually listining to it it's going to be hard to say what sounds are normal, and what isn't. I can tell you though that you can hear the evap canister purge valve ticking when there idleing. It is located on the firewall right hand side just to the left of the A/C filter/dryer.

the only rattle/buzz i get once in a while is on my 4x4 shifter. and all i do is push on it and it goes away.

my engine is always had a nice calm purr to it but nothing out of the ordinary

the slight rattling may be the catalytic convertor heat shield rattling. Mine will do that until it is warmed up then its gone. Hope that helps

my fathers 01 xj has a rattling transfer case lever at idle. I have the repair kit which was dirt cheap but Im too lazy to install it for him. Otherwise it sounds like every other 4.0l xj out there.

XJ = Rattle Box

my cat heat shield rattles only after its warmed up, really annoying:smsoap: .

when you shut it off it goes DUNK DUNK DUNK DUNK.

my back seet also squeks goind over bumps, stuffed a rag and in the latch and its gone

Tcase shifter - get that repair kit

Rear seat latch- latch the seatback on a rag or put the fuzzy side from some Velcro on the seat part of the latch.

Tail gate - a small dab of white lithium grease on the little latching hoop on the floor.

Dash - jam in a matchbook cover.

Wind noise in door gaskets - turn up the music.

I have also had the transfer case rattle for years and it has never caused a problem and never gotten worse. My advice is to accept any and all noises. I feel that the XJ is the king of random noises. Mine has more creaks, groans, small rattles, and bumps than any other vehicle, yet drives like new at 230K and has never had the first problem!

That's good to hear!! My previous rig....an 85XJ would have noises that sometimes mean something.....especially after I got it back from some less-than-capable mechanic. So now I've become paranoid....especially since this is a used car. I was just looking for a little reality check!

Mine also has a whine from the fuel pump under the rear cargo area. Been there in all 4 XJ's I've had.

Back