• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier Fab

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I finally attemopted my first fabrication project.
So here goes:

I started with some drafting (and measuring on the Heep)to figure out what I wanted.
drafting.jpg

Then I drew up a working 3-d sketch in Rhino, mostly so I could get my head around it, and figure out what I needed in materials. I bought a piece of 2"x6" steel for the main bumper piece from Satan here on the board, so that was my starting point.

rendered.jpg

You can view the whole 3-d file here http://www.3dmodelprint.com/Jason/bumper3-d.html here, you will just need to download the viewer from 3DC.

Here are some pics prior to painting it. The only things I don't have shown here, are the pieces that attach from the corner "wings" to the frame rail. It's painted now and on, but I will need to get some finihsed pics after I can get everyhting back together and move it out of the garage.

backside2.jpg

backside.jpg

face1.jpg

hitch.jpg

corner.jpg

hitchweld.jpg

spindle.jpg

mounting.jpg

cariier1.jpg

latch.jpg

As I said, finihsed pics to come soon.

Jason

Yeah, that looks like nice work, man. Definitely post-up the finished product.

Where did you get the latch from and is the hinge a trailer spindle! Your making my fabricatin skills look bad. Nice work!!

Nice work! Looks like you put slight bend in the bottom arm of the swingout, if so that's a nice touch to keep it close as possible to the hatch. Now that I'm looking at it, looks like you put a couple notches in the bumper as well to contour the hatch...slick.

I have one suggestion though you may want to consider. The framerail mounts being flat like don't offer much vertical strength at all. This will put more of the load on the rear crossmember mounts which aren't very strong at all. I know mocked up it might seem ok but bouncing down the road with the weight/leverage of the tire carrier or towing something puts a lot of stress on it. Looks like you have room too, just put a vertical piece below it to form an "L" and you'd be good to go. Just a suggestion, really good work you did.

I probabaly should have put a piece of angle iron on the hitch tie-ins. I can always add it on later. I looked at a lot of tie-ins, and even manufacturers are using a piece of flat stock, so I think it will be OK.

I guess that's the nice thing about doing this yourself, you can always tweak it as you go!

I got the latch from Mcmaster Carr. I can find the link and add it later. I think it's rated to 2000lbs dead load. The spindle is a kit that I got from rock logic.

http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/store/i...11&prevaction=category&previd=15&prevstart=24

Well, I finaly got the bumper painted, mounted and enough other things done to pull it out of the garage. Here are some finihsed pics. For my first fab job, I'm pretty happy. The only thing that sucks so far, is the paint. I used the Rustoleum hammered and it's chipping off pretty easy.

P1010506.jpg

P1010526.jpg

P1010518.jpg

P1010510.jpg

P1010523.jpg

P1010513.jpg

P1010516.jpg

P1010515.jpg

Again, good job man. Really like how you kept that swingarm and tire mount as close to the back of your XJ as possible, looks 100% better than having it hang way out. Is it touching the gate or just that close?

About that paint, how long did you let it cure and what primer did you use? I've noticed in cold weather it takes awhile for it to fully cure. You might find that in awhile it becomes much harder.

I probabaly should have put a piece of angle iron on the hitch tie-ins. I can always add it on later. I looked at a lot of tie-ins, and even manufacturers are using a piece of flat stock, so I think it will be OK.

Just because a "pro" does it, doesn't mean it's right. There was a thread just not long ago about a rear tire carrier bumper that had caused cracks in the rear crossmember, the framerail supports were just flat steel. I was just telling someone the other day, the framerail mounts should be the main mounts of the bumper, the crossmember mounts nothing but an added bonus to strength. I've learned a lot and made a lot of changes to products over the years by listening to customers who find things I've overlooked. But like you said, can add them later.

Thanks AJ. I appreciate the positive feedback. I know there are things that I will probabaly adjust as I go, but it's a learning experience. I wanted to learn how to weld and work with metal, so this was a good project to get going on it. I read the post by FrankZ about the holes cracking, but of course that was after I had everything built.

In response to two things you mentioned: It's not touching the rear hatch at all, it's just close. It sits about 1/2" off the light cover above the license plate. I intend to put a bumper between the tire swing and the rear hatch, just to make sure things don't vibrate too much.

As for the paint, I primed it with Duplicolor sandable primer. I used it on the rims on my Subaru that I stripped and repainted, and it worked out pretty well, so I figured I would use it again. Prior to priming I used a scotchbrite pad on the whole thing, and then wiped everything down with Acetone. In hind site, maybe I should have gone with the self etching primer.

I let everything dry over night before spraying the final coats. We have a big spray booth at work, so everything was painted indoors at room temperature. I think I will just touch it up with the hammered finish, and then use a clear coat over the top to seal everything up. I used the Duplicolor clear engine enamel on some other stuff and that has held up pretty well.

I think the next project will be an exo cage. I'm torn between figuring out and building one for myself, or going with C-Rok.

build it yourself, I want to see another project with more pics :)

Nice job on the fab......I may (with slight mods) copy your corner treatment!...............One question though......Are my eyes deceiving me or is there a curve in your bumper?

I know if you lay a couple of beads up the back like this............====I====I====........the welds will "pull" and bow the tube slightly but not sure how consistant it'll be.

-Ron

Last edited:
XXX said:
Nice job on the fab......I may (with slight mods) copy your corner treatment!...............One question though......Are my eyes deceiving me or is there a curve in your bumper?

I know if you lay a couple of beads up the back like this............====I====I====........the welds will "pull" and bow the tube slightly but not sure how consistant it'll be.

-Ron

Yes, there is a slight bend to the bumper. The center section is flat, and either side is bent 3 degrees (in plan) to follow the contour of the rear. The swing away has the same 3 degree bend to match the bumper face.

The 2"x6" bumper face was cut on the back, top and bottom where it needed to be bent. I bent it, then welded the cut back together.

Went back and re-read the thread....Sorry AJ, didn't see your post on the curve of the bumper. Again Jd, nice attention to details!

-Ron

Did you say something about learning to weld and a first project? You did a damned nice job. I printed some of the photos because I'm building both my bumpers too. I like the angle of the tire and the way the jack is mounted. Excellent . Thanks for sharing this info with us. Change your user name to fabman or something:D

Thanks to all of you for the ideas about going into the frame with the tubing also. Great info. I'm a little paranoid about a 33 and jack hanging out there.

old thread brought back to life but i wanted to say great job on the bumper, it looks really good.

Back