• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified Backseat/Cargo Area??

surfmon

NAXJA Forum User
This may be a long shot.
I'm looking for info on an XJ that I saw online and now cannot find.
It was built for driving down Baja. The backseat was removed and the rear cargo area was raised 10" and made into a sleeping area with storage underneath.

I am seeing if anyone has a link or writeup about this conversion.
I'm planning a large trip from FL to South America next year and will need my XJ to serve as a comfortable sleeping area as well.

any info helps
thanks
Travis

Ive seen a few like that basicly its just a big drawer for storage and you use a wooden frame to make a sturdy sleep area above it. even seen one where the part over the rear seat area was removable so it could be reinstalled

Look at the hoses, it's plumbed inline with the heater to work as an aux cooling fan and mini radiator to help disipate more heat. Wonder if it works?

xxxpedition was covered in detail by peterson's. The cooler in the hood is indeed like plumbed like an aux cooler, since the truck was built to be a desert truck. The additional fan and radiator area help most when runing accessories while stopped.

Justin

I´d forget about sleeping in an XJ for a longer time. You wont have enough room for yourself, your clothes, your food, all the tools and parts, recovery stuff or the beautiful south american lady you´ll perhaps pickup down there.

I´d build a drawer system for the heavy stuff, like parts, revcovery gear, water, tools and put the lighter and softer stuff (clothes) on top of it. Then buy a roof tent and put it - you guessed it, right? - on the roof - there you have your place to sleep for up to two persons, out of the way of smaller and bigger animals.

Check out www.hannibalusa.com for some inspiration!

I´ve travelled about 6.500 miles through scandinavia with my XJ w/ a roof tent and my wife (so no south american ladies for me) - it was a great adventure and a pleasure to sleep in the roof tent.

x2 the beautiful south american women.....they are gorgeous! try for 2

I've slept in the back of my XJ a few times. and I never found it uncomfortable. Then again I had a little shelf area built up to about the height of the headrests. That way when it was time to rack out, I'd pop off the headrests and my feet could hang into the seats, or I'd throw my duffel in the seat so my feet didn't hang. Worst part is I don't have tinted windows so the sun would wake me up before I wanted to get up :)

Back