• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 doesnt get to 2 when in 1-2 gear ?

papampi

NAXJA Forum User
i have this problem since i get my 91 xj ! its not bad when you are in downhills but ...
what do you think? when i put the gear in 1-2 it stocks in 1 and wont get to 2 !
where should i check ?
what should i do first ?

There was a post somewhere yesterday that told that if you are at a stop and shift directly from P or N to 1-2, it will stay in 1 to 4000 rpm. This was verified by several people. It was designed this was to allow you to lock it in 1 for those times when you really need it.

rpyne said:
There was a post somewhere yesterday that told that if you are at a stop and shift directly from P or N to 1-2, it will stay in 1 to 4000 rpm. This was verified by several people. It was designed this was to allow you to lock it in 1 for those times when you really need it.

Agreed. It will stay in 1st until almost redline, then it will hit 2nd. You have nothing to worry about.

I went out today an tried it out, almost 2 miles of winding 6 to 10 percent downgrade without ever touching the brakes. Works like a charm.

so in that case you should get in to second gear when you down shift it should get in 2 not 1 ! am i right ? but it only goes to 1 ! see you are going about 40mph in 3rd gear you want to down shift to 2 ! it wont ! it goes to 1 !
is it ok with yours ? and also i tried out with starting it never goes to 2nd gear !!!!

Yes but only if you are going above about 28 MPH. If below, it will go into 1st. Are you saying if you downshift at 35 it goes into 1st?
In D do you go through all gears or is there a jump from 1 to 3?

I've said it before, and i'll say it again.

aw4's will not shift from 1st to 2nd in the 1-2 position until 4500 rpms, regardless of throttle position.

As for the down shifting, trying dropping it into 1-2 going 40-45 mph, and see what it does, you'll know real quick if it drops into 1st, but my bet is that it will shift to 2nd.

Back