• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition switch?

luvherinmyjeep32

NAXJA Forum User
emailed to me from a friend with a 91-96 XJ...

what do ya know about the ignition switch under the dash? went to start it the other day, turned the key and the fuel pump came on, the radio came on, and the fan. turned it to start and nothing! didn’t turn over at all, tried jumping it, nothing. moved the tranny selector around and tried it, nothing. took the tilt wheel and moved it up and down with some force and it started! my buddy Keith that has the garage in the lower end of town said to change out the ignition switch under the dash.

anybody know what my buddys problem could be?

luvherinmyjeep32 said:
shouldn't be the NSS because he played with the shifter and it made no difference.

Maybe, maybe not. When I had that problem, sometimes moving the shifter would make a difference, sometimes not. Cleaned the NSS, no more problem.

Just my experience. :patriot:

a neater thought, when ya have a bad started you can bang on it to get it ta go............maybe he band the tilt hard enough to create the same thing..............But then a gain the start is on the opposite side.:dunno:

Flash.

I'd look into cleaning the NSS first. It's a free fix that takes maybe two hours, probably needs to be done anyhow, and will either fix the problem or eliminate the NSS as the culprit. There was a great write-up on it the other day, I did mine on Monday and it eliminated my tempramental no-start problem. That factory grease was gummy as all get-out in the switch and one of the little springs was completely stuck in compressed mode, not allowing the one contact to, well, contact.

Back