• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd Problems - Help Quick (Snow approaching)!!!

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
I was pulling into my house coming from the bank, i put it into 4WD and pulled into the driveway...i let off the gas and slowly the car stopped...it felt like somthing was dragging, like the brakes or something, i took it out of 4wd and put it in 2HI and it worked perfectly...weird...i am assuming its a problem w/ the transfer case...any ideas???

i have the one that has 2hi - 4hi - N - 4lo

thanks

Brendan

help...its starting to snow!!!

just wondering if you happened to put it in 4LO? That changes the gearing and would make it feel like you're on the brakes as soon as you let off the gas. If you had it in 4HI did it make any unusual noises?

i had it in 4HI...i cant even figure out how to get it into 4LO...lol...it sounded like something was rubbing the underside of the jeep (but only when i was in 4wd)

lol well i think the first thing you should do is the easy stuff. Replace the t-case fluid (easy and cheap enough), and check the front driveshaft/axle u-joints. Also, you can do the chain test (put it in 4LO and brakestand) and see if it pops and/or jerks, indicating a worn chain.

To get it into 4LO, you can put it in N and then firmly shift from wherever you are into 4LO. Sometimes you may have to roll an inch or two to get the gears to mesh completely.

4-lo from 4-high... you have to move the lever over to the right, either out of hi to N, or out of N to lo... cannot remember just now, but it is not a straight pull back.

well...i just took it out again to see if i could figure it out....it works fine shifting into 4wd and going forward...i parked, put it in 4hi and then put it in drive and drove away...it worked fine until i cam back into the driveway...the steering wheel acted akwardly and jumped around, i shifted into reverse to back it into the garage and the truck acted funny....i started in reverse and went okay for 10ft...then it started to grind/rub and came to a complete stop...not sure whats up???

any ideas???

First, I hope you're not using 4WD on dry pavement. I would check the front axle u-joints next though.

Block the tires, put the tranny in neutral, and move the front axle-shaft back and forth while watching the stub shaft to see if they move together or have some play. If there is play, I would suggest replacing the u-joints.

the roads arent slick...i drove a 1/4 of a mile in my neighborhood to get it into the garage in 4wd...in the owners manual it was saying i could shift into 4wd at speeds up to 55mph (i was going about 30 tops) i dont remember reading anything about driving on pavement in 4wd...this is the first time i have put it in 4wd on the pavement anyways...is that my problem???

um YES.

NEVER EVER engage 4HI or 4LO on pavement. It's fine when driving straight, but as soon as you take turns things get hairy.

Both the front and rear driveshafts are locked together in this mode, and when you turn all four tires are going at different speeds. The transfer case can't account for this differentiation (think of a t-case like a locked differential and the driveshafts as axle shafts), so something has to give whether it be the tires slipping, or the driveline binding.

so when i am in snow...the "give" in the snow compensates for the different speeds....so nothing is wrong...i just shouldnt ever drive it on the dry road???

it makes complete sense to me now...reverse was fine when i was backing up...but when i went to TURN towards the garage it binded up...which explains what u said MoparManiac...thanks for the help guys!!!

4wd is not designed for dry pavement. That is where AWD or full-time 4wd come in. Those transfer cases have a differential in them to allow the front and rear wheels to turn at different speeds.

see...my dad has a toyota sequoia and he is supposed to drive in 4wd for 100miles out of the regular maintenece 3000miles...i figured it was okay for me...but his is much more advanced then mine...so the difference in speed is compensated for in his Toyota im guessing!!!

From the Toyota site:
Multi-Mode 4-wheel drive with locking center differential (4WD models)

That tells you right there that there is a differential in the transfer case. That is the reason he can use 4wd on dry pavement.

makes sense..i figured there was a differential that allowed him to do that

no more 4wd pavement driving for me

thanks for the help

owe u guys big time!!

MoparManiac said:
Also, you can do the chain test (put it in 4LO and brakestand) and see if it pops and/or jerks, indicating a worn chain.

I am sorry I don't mean to hi-jack this thread.

What exactally is the "brakestand test"

My assumption is do you get it in 4LO and hold the brakes and slowly ease on the gas? What gear is the Tranny in when you do a brakestand?

TIA

Matt

Back