• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the centering ball?

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so im being a post whore today but I have an Idea. My rear drive shaft has pretty much torn itself apart within the last 3 weeks or so, all because of lost needle bearings out of the centering ball at the cv joint. I am having a new rear driveshatf built as soon as I can (next weekish) but she is my daily driver. It has horrible vibes and sounds from that damn centering ball. It has RE's 1801 sye and and the spicer flange mated to a modified front shaft, I was wondering if I can just sawzall off the middle peice that houses the centering ball?? I would still have full circle clips and everything just no centering ball. Would this alieve the vibes until I can get a new shaft built? The only other option I can think of is pulling my front ds and taking the needle bearings out of its centering ball and loading them into the one in the rear shaft? I need some advice as I have tommarrow off then a 20 mile treck to work on thursday with no other ride/transportation. Thanks for any help you can give me!

You cannot run a cv shaft without the centering ball!

I figured I shouldnt mess with it but it was just an idea. I could drive in FWD but the majority of my commute is 55mph+ and dont really feel comfortable on a locked front end.

I'm trying to work out how your drive shaft is built. If you have a double cardan CV joint check that you have one of these inside.

DSCF0801.JPG

The centering ball is on a yoke that is replaceable. I usually use this Neapco greasable version. I can't remember the Neapco part number but it replaces J8126796. Less than $50.

Thanks for all the replys guys. I guess I really didnt think it through all the way, but i have succesfully transplanted the centering ball from the front driveshaft into my spicer piece. I wont have 4wd for awhile but its the first time in like 4 weeks its had absolutley no vibes. Im considering just leaving the rear shaft as is and see how she holds up and just grab a front shaft from the yard next week so i can have 4wd again. For now I guess ill just have to mall crawl in 2lo :)

Back