• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to go about choosing shock length

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
I did a little searching on this and didn't find much that was too conclusive. I didn't spend a ton of time searching, so I am open to any links anyone finds, as well as just regular answers...

I know at this point that I am unsatisfied with the shocks I have, and with upcoming upgrades I know they wont suffice.

The plan:
1. Eliminate upper stem. I will use some shock conversions that we make here at work.
2. Custom make my own bar pin eliminators. I was gonna clone the rusty's unit, until I noticed that they turn the post side to side, which will cause binding. Instead I will do something to the effect of a JKS that keeps it front to back.
3. Keep current 4.5" coils, upgrade to ACOS or 5.5" spring later
4. Install Y-link long arms this weekend

Obviously these two things are going to effect my shock length around 1" and maybe a little more.

So with a current spring of 4.5" lift, and Y-link long arms going in this weekend, and a possible future ACOS or 1" longer spring, what extended and compressed shock lengths should I shoot for?

I have been wondering the same thing, I am in the proccess of swapping in a d44 front end and d60 rear. While doing so I am lifting another 2in. with 6 in allready. If I understand it correctly you take the static measurement from mount to mount subtract the distance of your bump stop or max commpresion that you would get and subtract another in. to help protect the shock from bottoming out. Anybody let me know if this is way off base.

1. Compress suspension all the way
2. Measure the distance between upper and lower shock mounts
3. Buy the longest shock you can that matches that compressed length.

the best way would be to wait until you do all your install stuff, then cycle your suspension and get shocks that fit, nobody is going to be able to tell you what size would be optimal for your particular situation, good luck

Skullvarian said:
the best way would be to wait until you do all your install stuff, then cycle your suspension and get shocks that fit, nobody is going to be able to tell you what size would be optimal for your particular situation, good luck

That is kinda what I figured would be best, and most likely what I will do.

I am sure however that 4.5" on longarms has been done with the shock conversion mounts about 8million times, so if anyone can share the lengths they use, please post up.

You want a shock that sits mid-travel when installed...
Simply, say... the shock has 12" of travel.
You want the shock to sit half compressed, so you have 6" of upward travel, and 6" of downward travel for droop.

In case of long arms, you may want an extra long shock that has say 16" inches of travel, when sitting in the vehicle you may only have 6" of upward travel (that's all you may need) but 10" of downward travel to allow for more articulation.

It's all in what kind of set up you have.

BUT NEVER, do you want a shock that sits installed all the way extended. This shock is way too short.

The longest skyjacker Hydro Xj front shock is 28" extended.
The longes Pro Comp XJ front shock is 31" exteneded.

Im running with 6.5" coils and long arms the 31" Pro Comp $30 shock.
I think it's 17" collapsed.
They are a little on the long side, but it's ok because my bumpstops will stop upward travel before the shock bottoms,
but the added lengty allows for mega droop without worring about pulling the shock apart.

Last edited:
Back