• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First gear in an automatic

ktilcu

NAXJA Forum User
I saw someone talking about first gear lockout in an automatic which would make sense cause the shifter bezel say 1-2, 3, Overdrive N R P but in my truck if i put it all the way down to that 1-2, gear then it never shifts out of first until i move it up...or if i downshift it will go straight from where i'm at to first without hitting second. So i guess my question is, Is this an option that came with jeeps or is something possibly modified or wrong? I have a 94 4.0 HO Automatic with 242

here is the thing... i don't have a problem i was just wondering if there was an option that allowed this? Staying in 1st gear would be very beneficial going downhill and such.

KSXJ's reply is right on the money for what you want. Brett's shifter allows you to select the gear the transmission stays in. There's also another option that uses a switch to control the 1-2 shift and lock it in first, but it's not nearly as elegant and cool as Brett's system.

haha, beat me to it. I was just about to post that link. That's got the switch one I was talking about above outlined in it. I would still go for Brett's system if you've got the cash, as it offers the most control as well as a slick torque converter lock-up switch (very nice for compression-braking). The other one offers the same lockup, it's just not nearly as nice a system.

ok sorry my bad... i worded it wrong... my truck already stays in first without shifting to second which isn't what it's supposed to do. My shifter should be labeled 1, 2-3, OD, N, R, P because that's how the tranny runs. When i say option i mean factory options because i bought the truck bone stock and it was like this... if i'm being ignorant or confusing then just let me know:dunno:

Last edited:
ktilcu said:
ok sorry my bad... i worded it wrong... my truck already stays in first without shifting to second which isn't what it's supposed to do. My shifter should be labeled 1, 2-3, OD, N, R, P because that's how the tranny runs. When i say option i mean factory options because i bought the truck bone stock and it was like this... if i'm being ignorant or confusing then just let me know:dunno:

Different people seem to have different issues. Mine was NOT holding first gear and would shift into second quickly. Made it more difficult to go down steep hills. Some people, like you, seem to have the opposite problem.

I got Bretts shifter to cure my issue.

I would like to know if and how there is a way to lock it in first gear no matter if its bouncing off the rev limiter. The only reason I would like it is if I am playin in the gooey stuff and its reving high when it auto shifts into second it'll bog the engine and usually before it can shift back down to first it's too late and I need the strap.
Any help would be greatly apprieciated

Thanks
Jake

KSXJ said:
snow - read what I posted above, search for brettm's shifter. It will answer you question.

I have searched all about the brettm's shifter and it is really cool but all I want control over is to stay in first. I really like how the aw4 shifts otherwise.

Jake

BBeach said:
Cant you unplug the TCM and it'll stay in 1st?
I thought I heard that somewhere also but i am not sure about that. If I can't find an answer on that I will just have to try it this weekend.
Someone must know if it is possible or if not what to do to make it possible.

Jake

snow580 said:
I thought I heard that somewhere also but i am not sure about that. If I can't find an answer on that I will just have to try it this weekend.
Someone must know if it is possible or if not what to do to make it possible.

Jake
Only problem with this is you get a check engine light and you dont have a 2nd gear. On my 98 it was pretty simple to pull out, just a matter of twisting and turning to be able to get a good grip on it.

BBeach said:
Only problem with this is you get a check engine light and you dont have a 2nd gear. On my 98 it was pretty simple to pull out, just a matter of twisting and turning to be able to get a good grip on it.

So what you are saying is if you unhook it it will never shift to second no matter how high the engine spins?
Do you know is there like a main power wire tor the tcm that could maybe have a toggle switch wired inline to just shut it off when needed?

Thanks
Jake

Back