• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing Calculations from Existing Aftermarket Rims working backward to new bs

I want to change my rims and backspacing. I am currently 5.5-6" of lift, trimmed and running 32x11.50 BFGs on 15x10 rims runniing 3.63 backspacing. At full lock I have 3 Inches of room. I plan to run 33sx10.50s down the road and I want to replace with Cragers or somthing like that, cheap but does the job. My question is, can I work back from 3.63 to using the 3" gap at lock to get to what I want. For instance can I take 3" and halve it to 1.5 and add it to 3.65 to get 5.13 or round it to the nearest size of 5" of backspacing and have that work without rubbing on the control arms leaving 1.5" there abouts left and thus 2" when I go to 33sx10.50?

Yes I searched and yes I found no answer to this question.

Last edited:
Very odd question you have here. I'm sure you could calculate it but one thing you forgot is the change in tire diameter from 32" to 33". That reduces the distance to the control arm when turning and would complicate the calculation alot so I'm not even going to attempt it.

Why not just get some 15x8 with 3.75" BS. Its a common size and not too different (BS) from what you have now.

Re: Backspacing Calculations from Existing Aftermarket Rims working backward to new bs

forget about the 33s, they are irrelevant other than they the 10.50 will be narrower than what I have now so I am not worried about it. I want to change my rims for two reasons: 1.) 15x10s worked well for looks but the rims are not protected and too much sidewall is out compared to other rigs I have seen with narrower rims. 2.) slips off the bead to easy. 3.) want to change my backspaciung.

I got 3.63 cause of a deal, but the tires sticvk out far too much now that I am ditchin my bushwackers among other things, I just want to know if I can get away with 5" backspacing vs 4 inch which I know I could do. I think that if I were using 5" spacing my tires would move in 1.5" and still givbe me 1.5" to play with, and down the road the 33x10.50s would givee about 2"s

hope this makes sense now

Re: Backspacing Calculations from Existing Aftermarket Rims working backward to new bs

I had 32x11.50-15 MTR's on 4.75" backspacing with just the slightest rubbing on the LCA.

twisted_ed said:
forget about the 33s, they are irrelevant other than they the 10.50 will be narrower than what I have now so I am not worried about it. I want to change my rims for two reasons: 1.) 15x10s worked well for looks but the rims are not protected and too much sidewall is out compared to other rigs I have seen with narrower rims. 2.) slips off the bead to easy. 3.) want to change my backspaciung.

I got 3.63 cause of a deal, but the tires sticvk out far too much now that I am ditchin my bushwackers among other things, I just want to know if I can get away with 5" backspacing vs 4 inch which I know I could do. I think that if I were using 5" spacing my tires would move in 1.5" and still givbe me 1.5" to play with, and down the road the 33x10.50s would givee about 2"s

hope this makes sense now
What are you doing with the Bushwackers? If you are selling them I call dibs. PM me if you want to get rid of them.
Thanks

I use factory 5.25 BS with my SS TSL 32x9.50 with 5" lift. At full stuff I rub my sway bar which is pulled all the way up. It just clears everything else. This tire has a true diameter of 32.3".

GermanXJ said:
What are you doing with the Bushwackers? If you are selling them I call dibs. PM me if you want to get rid of them.
Thanks

Yes I intend to sell them. For whom is interested, they are located in British Columbia Canada, Vancouver Island. 4/6 are comeplete with rubber strips and no damage except the odd scratch. The Driver Rear portion of the 4 door split has one screw hole broken out, and one of the other rear portions has a crack. Half of the mounting hardware is availalbe, the rest is out in the mud of misc. trails.

GermanXJ. I would be glad to sell them to you, but I sense that it would be and expensive ordeal in the shipping alone to Germany. But if you are interested after hearing about the location and minor damage to the two peices PM me back and we can talk.

You could even consider 15x7 with 10.5". I did with 4" BS, and 31x10.5" tires, and have plenty of room for the control arm. I could have went with the 4.25 offered in 15x7 easily. Another small factor like Eric's thought, your 15x10" wheel let that 11.5" tire spread out over the 10" so the tire center was pushed out, an 8" wide wheel with the same BS would pull that center in moving the tread overall inward.

Last edited:
Back