• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Modifications

GoliathJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have my tank dropped out of of Jeep right now to drain the bad gas (been sitting about 4 months) and the change the fuel pump/filter. Well I think the fuel pump form anywhere is too high and since it is bad and barely pumping anymore I'm going to install one inline along with a fuel pressure regulator and inline filter. What I was wondering was is there anyway to "hollow" out the fuel pump so that my guage still works but its just acting like a hose in the tank? I thought I saw this in a thread a long time ago but I've searched for about two hours and can't find anything. Sorry if someone finds it in about 5 minutes but at least I tried before posting.

Do not put in an inline fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure needs to change based upon vehicle vacuum. There is no reason to go to a lot of work. The fuel pump configuration is fine if your pump is working correctly.

But its not. And I like the idea of having an external fuel pump should it go out again. I know fuel pumps dont go out too often but we dont have the cleanest fuel around here and why could I not use a FPR again? If the fuel rail need around 34-40 psi(maximum) at the schrader valve then I could just set my FPR at around 40 and it should be fine through the entire RPM range. Am I right? Besides. This all together is still cheaper and easier to set up than having to buy a fuel pump/filter ($500) and drop the tank (again) to replace it if goes again.

Depends on the year. Earlys change, lates are a constant 50psi. Hesco sells the regulator, it is mosly a stock part and a peice added Bause the stock pump is not used. You can just replace the pump After you take apart the housing to reveal the pump it just needs to put out more then 50psi and over 27 gph.

Back