• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front diff.....stupid question

dspilot

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I am a noob, and I did search........there are waaaaaay too many posts to search through that include the terms Front Differential.

Anyway, does the front diff (dana 30) turn when the front wheels turn? I mean, is it always spinning?:helpme:

Yes.

The disconnect for the front axle drive is in the transfer case, not at the front wheels. Since your hubs are always "engaged" (you can't disengage them!) your differential and front driveshaft are spinning any time the vehicle is moving.

However, the driveshafts are uncoupled when the transfer case is in 2WD, so the front drivetrain is just "coasting" - like when you coast on a bicycle.

so is the dana 30 limited slip or is it just open diff?

im trying to figure out why i still get binding and a little wheel hop in 2wd

maine96xj said:
so is the dana 30 limited slip or is it just open diff?

im trying to figure out why i still get binding and a little wheel hop in 2wd

Should be open - I don't think any Dana 30 came from the factory with traction aids (but I'd have to check to make sure. At least, I don't recall any coming from Dana...)

why would i be getting binding in the front end when taking sharp slow turns then? in 2wd.

it binds at slow sharp turns, wheel doesnt return well after turning, and is overall a little sloppy.

5-90

your help would be really apprieted here

Check the u-joints in the knuckles.

i havnt checked the u joints in the front, how do i do this?

when somone turns the wheel and i look at steering, the joint where the tie rod meets the pitman arm moves up and down and cluncks a little(seems like to much movement), is this normal? could this cause the poor return/binding?

whos Earl?

how much movement is normal in the tie rod to pitman arm joint? should there be none? could this movement cause the binding/poor return?

also during the return after you take a turn, the wheel jumps in about inch increments doesnt flow back the way it should

Back