• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed Oil and now Transmission Problems

jcjeeper89

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I just changed the oil in my '89 and as I go to back it up the driveway the reverse gear stops engaging.

I go and check the transmission fluid level and its dry. There is no way I am draining my tranny fluid is there? I am sure I pulled the oil bleed screw...I'm not even sure how I would drain the transmission fluid.

Any suggestions/ideas? PLEASE HELP

Thanks

jcjeeper89 said:
Alright, I just changed the oil in my '89 and as I go to back it up the driveway the reverse gear stops engaging.

I go and check the transmission fluid level and its dry. There is no way I am draining my tranny fluid is there? I am sure I pulled the oil bleed screw...I'm not even sure how I would drain the transmission fluid.

Any suggestions/ideas? PLEASE HELP

Thanks
The oil drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan. It comes off at a slightly curved angle so it will shoot the oil towards the back of the Jeep (if that makes sense). The transmission drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission pan which is a flat surface. If you pulled that though it would've been a slightly more red fluid coming out rather than brown unless you have some burnt tranny fluid.

jcjeeper89 said:
I didn't think you could drain the trans fluid without dropping the entire pan, don't think there is a drain plug either.
Well depending on what transmission it is yes you should be able to. If it's an AW4 there is a drain plug on the bottom of the pan. More info. would be very helpful. If you crack that transmission drain you won't get all the fluid out but it gets most of it out, probably enough to read "dry" on your tranny dipstick. Also, you won't get an accurate reading checking an AW4's level without the Jeep running or driving it around a bit first. The owner's manual says to drive 15 minutes to get it to the level where you should check it. I understand it won't let you move so you really can't do that but all I'm saying is that's for an accurate reading.

Last edited:
First the specs:

1989 Cherokee, 4x4 Auto Trans

Couple questions:
Which drain plug is closer to the rear of the vehicle? I also attempted to take some pictures.

I applogize for my lack of knowledge on the matter and really appreciate your help.

First picture is up towards the engine. Second Picture is purther back next to a cross bar

IM000154.jpg

IM000157.jpg

jcjeeper89 said:
Wow, I'm a fricken moron...guess its time to drain my oil (for real this time) and add trans fluid. Thanks a bunch!

Make sure you use Dexron III in the trans, FYI.

I would think he now has double the oil in the crank case. JCJeepers - glad you found it before burning the tranny up!
Bet you never confuse the two again....

Absdad said:
I would think he now has double the oil in the crank case. JCJeepers - glad you found it before burning the tranny up!
Bet you never confuse the two again....
yeah, I know..I was just imagining the horror of trying to get every drop of engine oil out of the tranny, tc and lines. probably take an afternoon of flushing at the dealer.

Boy I feel really stupid :doh:..guess you can blame it on my ignorance about the transmission fluid drain plug.

To clear things up: I thought I was draining mys oil when I was actually draining my trans fluid. And yes, I ended up doubling the oil in the crank case. (I did not put motor oil in the tranny)

I started completely over, drained the oil, filed it and replenished the lost trans fluid. Finally back to where I need to be. Thanks for your guys' help--this problem will NEVER happen again.

Back