• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

god dangit...

sharpie1k

NAXJA Forum User
So, after a couple hours of wheeling, I noticed something. Randomly, I will go to press the gas, and it feels like the torque converter hasn't locked out of gear, it basically feels like I am in neutral, but only for a second until it catches, and then pulls. It has only happened three times since, but the last time it was weird. I felt in the pedal (could be the floor also, my heel was on the floor), a clack, clack. Anyone have any ideas? I think it's the torque converter, though I am going to check the linkage in the TC. Also, I think I should check the rear driveshaft. Other ideas? I haven't checked the gear oil in the rear, but since this is a sporadic thing, I wouldn't assume missing teeth or anything
dunno.gif
maybe it's time to do a diff oil change tomorrow.

any ideas appreciated.

could be lots of things. start with checking your diffs. make sure the tires are off the ground, so you can see all of the ring gear and pinion teeth, and the spider gear teeth.

then check the u-joints on the driveshaft.

i had the same thing on my xj. my problem was transmission fluid leaking. i dont know if you have the same problem but you might wanna check if your leaking transmission fluid or if you just need some. just a heads up

nickjc13 said:
i had the same thing on my xj. my problem was transmission fluid leaking. i dont know if you have the same problem but you might wanna check if your leaking transmission fluid or if you just need some. just a heads up
Yep, happened to me too. I blew a tranny hose and lost all the fluid.
It would catch, and then not, roll backwards, and then catch again.

BTW, the lines that go into the tranny are horrible to mess with.

did you blow it or did the pass uca mount smash it during the suspension compressing

this just happened to me for the second time in like 3 months

cjovertj said:
did you blow it or did the pass uca mount smash it during the suspension compressing

this just happened to me for the second time in like 3 months
I replaced my radiator, and didnt get the hoses conected as well as I should have.
My engine now has a nice coating of atf all over it.

Back