• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob question about used shocks...

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
... so im too embarassed to ask this in the main forums... but i recently bought a used lift kit... and it came with 2 used shocks.... but theyre compressed.... they dont expand.... the last time i installed shocks, they were new and they wanted to expand themselfs....
the ones i took OFF did not... and they werent completely shot, so it really makes me wonder.... are they any good?

Don't be afraid to ask any questoin, you are tyring to get answers to things you don't know. if someone jumps on you for a questions, just ignore them and go after the answer.

anyway, it sounds like the shocks are no good. they should expand on their own. once expanded, it shoudl take a little work to compress them.

Not all shocks are gas charged. Most Rancho's, pro-comp's, etc are not charged. You should feel quite a bit of resistance pushing them in and out by hand. Extend the two shocks, and compress them both at the same time, and make sure they have equal resistance.

-Dan

x2 do what he said - i guess just remember really they are dampeners rather than shocks - i think this is why they can run as little as 25-30 dollars - most lifts come with this set up

Dan Turner said:
Not all shocks are gas charged. Most Rancho's, pro-comp's, etc are not charged. You should feel quite a bit of resistance pushing them in and out by hand. Extend the two shocks, and compress them both at the same time, and make sure they have equal resistance.

-Dan

Thanks for clearing that up Dan. I did nto think it through enough.

Dan Turner said:

-Dan
i feel the resistance pushing in/out on it, but they do not extend on their own...... they are deusch tech shocks...

so gas charged shocks expand on their own? and regulars or malfunctioning nitro's dont?
(the ones i installed WERE rough country nitro's... and i bet the ones i pulled off were not... so this makes sense)

thanks for the help

my deutsch tech stabilizers didnt expand on their own even when new but that was a stabilizer. They should be fine and as Dan mentioned, the resistance is important.

sent grimus a pm about my sagging leafs, hes sending me a shackle lift to help compensate for the sag, customer service that actually cares and helps out for once, most companys arent this willing to make the customer happy, rough country definatly is! great job guys...

I am not flaming you .. but,

I have to ask.

What does that have to do with this thread? :)

cal said:
I am not flaming you .. but,

I have to ask.

What does that have to do with this thread? :)

If you won't flame....I WILL!!

What the heck are you talking about?
Damn east coasters....probably don't even know what a real rock look likes..or a desert...or a good looking woman....(unless he saw the newest picture in the expo thread!)

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

:wave1:

I talk shit about rough country all the time, he never pipes up in my threads. :)

Flame on rick. I need a good laugh.

Back to the subject, the gas (nitrogen) in a shock helps the oil not cavitate. If they are supposed to be charged and arent, they will overheat and cavitate.

KH

Back