• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need AW4

Is the AW4 actually different for those years? I thought it was just the seperate TCU (integrated with the ECU on later years, not part of the tranny) that made those years easier to swap to other rigs.

The reason I ask is that I've been eyeing an engine/tranny combo for sale out of a 2001 to swap into my '94. If I end up buying the combo I'd have either a '94 or 2001 AW4 tranny left over, but no seperate TCU. I do think I saw a few early AW4 TCUs still in the XJs at the Pick and Pull yard in Mesa (for that matter there may have been complete early AW4s in the yard as well.)

Last edited:
DrMoab said:
I have one from an 89.

Would you be willing to ship it from Utah?

How much you looking to spend?

It depends on what I'm getting. How many miles? Does it need to be rebuilt? Has it been rebuilt? All that stuff will come into play when it comes to $. If it’s the right deal I would pay for shipping, but I'm going to be in Utah the weekend after Easter. Where are you located?

cwstnsko said:
Is the AW4 actually different for those years? I thought it was just the seperate TCU (integrated with the ECU on later years, not part of the tranny) that made those years easier to swap to other rigs.

The reason I ask is that I've been eyeing an engine/tranny combo for sale out of a 2001 to swap into my '94. If I end up buying the combo I'd have either a '94 or 2001 AW4 tranny left over, but no seperate TCU. I do think I saw a few early AW4 TCUs still in the XJs at the Pick and Pull yard in Mesa (for that matter there may have been complete early AW4s in the yard as well.)

You may be right. I was just by a guy who did the swap in several of his vehicles that this would be a plug and go application for the most part. I can do the other stuff it just wiring that scares me. If other years would work with little modifications I can go that route as well.

Wounded XJ said:
You may be right. I was just by a guy who did the swap in several of his vehicles that this would be a plug and go application for the most part. I can do the other stuff it just wiring that scares me. If other years would work with little modifications I can go that route as well.

It will be easiest to do with an 89 to 90, your wiring harness still has the pigtail I believe for the conversion. and the stand alone TCU is the way to go. I Have a TCU, shifter, Bezel pedal assembly and harness on the grey truck you can pull if needed. (Ill be cheap) So really all you need is the AW4 and tranny mount,

Back