• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch trouble

Dundy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 XJ with a winch rated at 9000 lbs from a company called Runva, a company that usually is seen around range rovers. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago i was pulling my friend out of the mud with it and it started acting up. The pulling power dropped significantly and it sounded very unhealthy. After i pulled him out I started to spool the winch up. While doing this, the winch was winding fast and then it slowed down and sped up again. I haven't touched the winch since. Dows anyone know what I can do to remedy this probem?

Last edited:
reelbigdundy87 said:
I have a 1987 X with a winch rated at 9000 lbs from a company called Runva, a company that usually is seen around range rovers. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago i was pulling my friend out of the mud with it and it started acting up. The pulling power dropped significantly and it sounded very unhealthy. After i pulled him out I started to spool the winch up. While doing this, the winch was winding fast and then it slowed down and sped up again. I haven't touched the winch since. Dows anyone know what I can do to remedy this probem?
So it's 10 yrs old? Sounds like it's time to be replaced. You could service it (breakdown, clean, rebuild), but I dunno. It sounds like the motor is just on it's way out.

Looking online, I found they were made in China, Co. founded in 1997. There was a place in New Zeland that may work on them. If it were mine, I would bench strip it, see what you can find. Then replace with Warn, if you can't fix it. Good luck.

Back