• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big problem says its misfiring!!

JIMBOJAMES

NAXJA Forum User
Ok last week my 96 XJ would not start one morning in the cold. I get home from work the same day it still doesnt start. I shoot it with starter fluid nothing. I then give it some gas and she starts but running horrible. Then I take it on a 1 hr and half drive to visit someone it runs rough until I open it up. The check engine light keeps blinking so I check the codes with a reader. It says that all cylinders are misfiring.

Then my buddy and I pull the gas tank and clean it. We also replaced the fuel filter thinking fuel was the problem. Well on my way back tonight the jeep ran the same on the way back. What was done did not fix the problem just helped the Jeep idle better.

I filled her up with 89 octance fuel and injector cleaner for the ride home, half way here I get a nasty burning smell in the cab and it started to get smokey.

I really need some expert help here this thing is my DD for now and I need to get to work each morning.

JIMBOJAMES said:
Ok last week my 96 XJ would not start one morning in the cold. I get home from work the same day it still doesnt start. I shoot it with starter fluid nothing. I then give it some gas and she starts but running horrible. Then I take it on a 1 hr and half drive to visit someone it runs rough until I open it up. The check engine light keeps blinking so I check the codes with a reader. It says that all cylinders are misfiring.

Then my buddy and I pull the gas tank and clean it. We also replaced the fuel filter thinking fuel was the problem. Well on my way back tonight the jeep ran the same on the way back. What was done did not fix the problem just helped the Jeep idle better.

I filled her up with 89 octance fuel and injector cleaner for the ride home, half way here I get a nasty burning smell in the cab and it started to get smokey.

I really need some expert help here this thing is my DD for now and I need to get to work each morning.

If its blinking, that is the o shiit:shocked: mod(don't drive it)check eng like comes on when it detects a problem when it blinks the problem is bad enough that it could be dangerous to drive.

the smoke was from the cat converter burning the fuel that the eng isn't.....for what ever reason.

the heat that the cat is creating, is burning the insulation,under coating and eventually the carpet.......Woof :shocked: by by XJ :flame:

Flash.

I don't now what the solution is but DON'T drive the jeep for any distence with the check eng light blinking!!!!

So what did you do or change before the problem happened? tune-up,oil change wire in a stereo replace the 02 sensor EXC.

Flash.

JIMBOJAMES said:
Oh shit my only way to work.

nothing changed thats whats the wierd thing. I just tried to start it up one morning.

How does it run now compared to before the light cam one(idle,exseleration, cruise speed?)

Start it at night, and raise the hood and see if there is any fire works(spark jumping around under the hood(Its got to be dark....no street light shining in the hood.

Flash.

Well as I was trying to start it the one day I drained the battery so my check engine light was cleared I know this because I have one for the NSS for 3 months. As I cranked, it would not start until I gave it some gas.

JIMBOJAMES said:
Could my battery be weak and causing a misfire someone had mentioned that to me? due to low ignition?

Is the multiple mis fire code the only one you have?

Is it a random/multiple misfire? Check your crankshaft position sensor...also check your igniton coil(s). Is it a COP (Coil on Plug) or does it have a cap/rotor?

Blinking CEL is an indication that the catalytic converter is experiencing a problem. Also related to your burn smell. If your cat went bad, it would cause you to run like crap due to restricted air flow from the exhaust. The engine would be literally choking. Sometimes when the cat gets real hot it will melt the internals and get clogged. Have your cat checked out. You can also bang on it with a malet and if you hear any rattles, it's bad.

The pick-up in the distributor could be going bad.Or the CPS may be bad.Did it throw any codes(43) points to the bad distributor.
Wayne

Mine did the same thing but it turned out to be a blown headgasket! Well, minus the bad smoke inside and the blinking cel. Hope it isnt as bad for you. Mine was a dd to. I almost cried when I pulled the dipstick.........brownish green oil. :( But a bad or clogged cat deffinatly sounds like the first thing to check.

Actually a blinking Check Engine Light indicates that the engine is operating in a condition that COULD cause pre-mature converter failure. Apparantly at this point in time, your converter is already bad probably CAUSED by the misfire condition you are experiencing. Check your basics..., or have it diagnosed by someone with a scantool that actually gives livedata parameters, not just a code reader... Check the long term fuel trim, also watch your oxygen sensor switching...but I'm guessing that the rear o2 sensor is already bad due to the fuel contamination in the converter... Either way, it sounds like an ignition issue is the primary cause of your problem...

Exactly what code is it throwing?

What shape are your plugs, wires and cap in?

You may not have had a bad cat to begin with, but killed it by driving it in this condition.

As mentioned, and for the future, blinking CEL = STOP DRIVING IT, as major damage is in the process of occuring, or is about to occur.

Did ya look to see if there were fire works(spark jumping every where) going on under the hood (at night) from the spark plug wires???

When you remove the dist. cap look for crack in the cap!!!!

Flash.

Back