• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to put hi lift?

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
right now its on the roof...but i keep hearing how its gonna rust...so im thinking about putting it inside....so anyone with there hi lift have it known to rust?!

It wont take too long for the bare metal to rust. I have used a few times, and left it out for 2 days when it rained, and the pins and whatnot were somewhat difficult to move around, due to rust.

If you do put it inside, make sure it is securly held down.

mine is on my front bumper and i havent had any troubles with it, sometimes it'll try to stick when you use it but its nothing a coat of wd-40 or some penetrant every now and then wont fix

WholeLottaXJ said:
I was thinking of mounting mine to the back of the backseat. I'd rather not keep it outside.
I still can't figure out how to get that 48" to fit under the back seat. My seat would never go down all the way no matter how I put it.

Sorry the pic is so big, but if it's much smaller you won't see what I'm talking about.

All it is is 1"x1" and some plate. It ties into the floor pans, wheel wells and then when the jack is bolted up it makes the entire thing rigid. It took all of about 45 mins., and that's with head-scratching time trying to figure out what I wanted. It needs to come back out to be painted, but here it is:

hiliftmount.jpg

WholeLottaXJ said:
Yeah that's exactly what I would do. However, do you have to unbolt it when you want to use it? Maybe some wing nuts would make things easier?
Yes, wing nuts would make it easier, but I just use standard hex nuts. For some reason I just think wing nuts would eventually loosen and it would rattle like mad.

Just wanted to add something, since we're on the topic. I was browsing ebay and I came upon looking at the hi-lifts on there. Has anyone used or gotten a 48" Hi Farm Jack? They seem to be the same thing..

XJsurf said:
Just wanted to add something, since we're on the topic. I was browsing ebay and I came upon looking at the hi-lifts on there. Has anyone used or gotten a 48" Hi Farm Jack? They seem to be the same thing..

They are damn near the same thing... some have used them. Id personally stick with a trusted name. One that wont fail or give out on you at a time of need.

It's okay to keep the Hi-Lift outside, just hit the pins and other moving parts with lube every now and then. I've had mine outside since day one (About ten years now) and there is no surface rust to speak of. It does get gummy occasionally from rain/mud/trail dust, hence the periodic lube.

XJsurf said:
The farm jack is what you see in the back of mine. They are - like it was said - damn near the EXACT same thing. I compared them side by side with a Hi-Lift brand jack and I couldn't tell the difference. I went with the Farm Jack because it was $20 less for the same model. It has yet to fail me and I doubt it ever will.

That's cool if the Farm jack is as good as the Hi-Lift. I went with the Hi-Lift because it's the industry standard, proven through years of reliable service, and it's pretty much a one-time purchase. I've had mine ten years, used it dozens of times, it's never let me down. I personally wouldn't justify saving a measly $20 on a lifetime purchase if I only hoped it was as good as a Hi-Lift.

Not a flame, just saying, tried and true is usually rated as such through years of positive experiences.

Mine's been outside since I got it eight or nine years ago. Spent the first few years in a tube on the top of the XJ, now it's on the rear bumper.

I keep it lubed and haven't had a problem.

Bones :skull1:

I've had mine on the roof for 6 years and before that bolted to the back of a pickup cab for 3. It got rusty but works fine, I make sure to lub it though. Mines not a high lift brand and I have had zero problems with it. Actually it works better then the high lifts I've used. I recently moved it inside behind the rear seat and will be bolting it to my rear cargo deck I made. I'm using these rubber Quick Fist clamps. They are pretty nifty and you can get them on ebay for about 2-3 a piece.

I have the "Farm" one, and i've had 2. One was on a old Chevy, which I had for 7 years, i've lifted with it more than i can remember probably in the hundreds. I've had no problems with lifting the 1/2 Ton truck. I got mine for $29.99

I currently have a new $29.99 Farm Jack with my XJ, as i sold me old one with the chevy. I personally don't think buying everything at "brand name" is the best option. Harbor Frieght Tools Roczors

Back