• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tera Low 4:1 and HPD30 together spell disaster?

98XJROKS

NAXJA Forum User
I've recently bought a NV231 with a new Tera 4:1, 2LO, HD SYE kit installed and the guy even thru in custom front and rear driveshafts for $600. I drove to his house so fast his head spun!

Anyway to the point,

After playing with it a couple of times close to home, I've realized just how much torque is really involved with a 4:1. It's enough that I can see the need for better brakes and stronger axel shafts etc. up front.

Will the stock HPD30 really hold up to the torque of the 4:1 T-case under normal rock crawling trail use?

Just 33X12.50 Xterrains...I usually air them down to about 17-20 lbs.

Dont rev it up and dump the clutch just let the gears do the work at low engine rpm till you get moving. It's easy to forget how low you are geared when you front end is down a ditch and you need to back out. Tendency is to rev it up to get you out but just let the gear reduction not the gas pedal do the work. I think your just posting because your still giddy about the smoking great deal you got on a part we all want. LOL Good for you man!!

I ran mine with 35" tires, weak 260 u joints and never had a problem. It is all how you drive~!

Stumpalump said:
Dont rev it up and dump the clutch

I have an aw4 and it wears my right leg out holding the brake down to keep it stopped. It's hard to describe the amount of torque I feel under it now, but it's dawned on me that I'll probably want rear discs if nothing else. Or just get used to popping into Neutral.
I'm not the type that drives with a heavy foot anyway, so sounds like i'm worried about nothing thanks and I'll take it easy...

Last edited:
make sure your rear drum brakes are adjusted in the mean time :)

the rear disc swap is cake if you have an 8.25 behind your XJ.

Back