• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE fixed upper control arms causing cracking

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a 4.5" RE kit which has the fixed upper control arms in the vehicle for 5000 miles and have just noticed cracking around the left upper control arm mount. Seems the arms may be too rigid and now I will have to turn around and spend more money on the flexible ones. Has anbody else had trouble with this. I have noticed that the kit comes with 2" bump stops which are to small as I have increased mine to 2.5" and am about to go to 3" to stop the inner plastic guard from being ripped out. Seems like this kit could do with some more design. I am also getting some cracking around the steering box that can be seen when the electric fan is removed. What is the best way to reinforce this.

DC had a habit of not fully welding most of the mounts to the body. This basically acts like the start of a crack if extra stress is put on it. ie lift tires etc. Drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop the memory of the crack and weld it back up all the way to the edge of the mount. good luck

Does anybody else think the cracking around the mount for the upper control arm is caused by the fact that the RE arms are rigid with just a rubber bush each end. I dont want to but the flexible ones if I dont need them.

xjdavid1 said:
Does anybody else think the cracking around the mount for the upper control arm is caused by the fact that the RE arms are rigid with just a rubber bush each end. I dont want to but the flexible ones if I dont need them.
I don't think they'd be so rigid as to start cracking their upper mounts. If you don't want to get the superflex arms, check out JKS' arms. They use OEM rubbers on each end and flex plenty (maybe as much as the REs) because of how they're designed.

Back