• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which shocks for RE 7.5" coils

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
I've been running my RE 7.5" coils/RE 4.5" leafs and RK shackles with 14" DT8000's for about 2 years now in my DD and am curious what others are running. Being my XJ is my DD I'm looking for something that gives a better on road ride. It doesnt ride terrible but hoping to improve without breaking the bank.

how much accual lift did those 7.5" coils give you.

I´ve got the 7.5" coils front, 5.5" leafs and 1.75" shakles in the rear. I´ve bought 14" shocks (Bilstein 5150) from a guy which seems to know what he´s doing (he isn´t, but I did realize that to late) and they are about 2" too long.

my money is on a set of these
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SHOCKADAPT&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock

and a set of bilstien 5125's or 7100's (225/70 valving)

5125 part #BE5-6249-H would probably work well with a 7.5" lift. Here is the link I use for specs on the shocks
http://www.raceshock.com/bilstein.htm

ECKSJAY will probably tell you the same thing...he is the one that told me to go 7100 and avoid the 5150. He said he's seen alot of the 5150 break.

For reference, I sit at 4.5" of lift on 32" tires, have the upper conversion mounts that are a bit longer, and a 26.25" extended shock (probably about 27.5" overall length) and I droop them to max, and full compressed on hard nose compressions still have a good 2.5-3" of uptravel left.

Last edited:
Sweet thanks. I already have the upper conversions. Dont think I want to spend the cash for the 7100's unless I can find a good deal. Im leaning towards the 5125's. I've been running with the 7.5's and no sway bar pretty much since day one and hoping to improve the body roll and ride, if it gets any worse I'd have to put the sway back in.

oh yeah you'll notice a good amount of difference, the doestech are just a basic shock, the bilstein is a charged shock.

You'll notice if you pull your doestech apart they stay where they're at.

The Bilsteins will retract once you pull them open.

Out of curiosity, how long are your doestech's? I could use something longer...

if you just want a better ride the 5125 are great, but i blew the seals in two shocks their first time in the desert, but they are great. ive run 5150's that i thought were great also valving 255/70. the basic aftermarket shock totally sucks... fine for rock crawlin, harsh on the street. pro comp makes an emulsion shock (and a resivoir) that are cheaper then others, if they have it in your valving 255/70 ( +or - 5)for the front or 170/70 ish for the rear. as far as size 12" but i love my bilsteins 7100's

Last edited:
Thanks guys. So the bilsteins will retract on themselves and not expand? That would probably help my body roll quite a bit. Right now Im running the 14" and I get every bit of down travel but limits my up by prob ~2inches. I like the idea of the 5150's but the idea of having the reservoirs breaking is not pleasant and could get costly.

Curious if that will make the body roll worse with the outside shock expanding more or make it better by keep the inside from collapsing as much. I really dont want to have to put the sway bar back in (the cost and the time to fab up axle mounts as the factory ones are cut off and the steering I'm running causes clearance issues) What do u think. Thanks for the input.

Back