• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What type of axel do I have? ( Picures )

Coaldust

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what type of axel I have. I have 33x12.5 tires and time has come for my to think about gearing my rig. I believe that I can only go to 4.56 with a 8.29 (which I think I have) but need to know for sure before I order the parts! Thanks!

Rear

IMG_3170.jpg

Front

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

but at the very least i do have to give you credit for showing a picture with your question. it's much easier to answer questions that way instead of having to guess which variation of jeep setup you have.

The only other thing you need to know is whether the front is a High Pinion or low Pinion. Unless you've got a 2000 or 2001 it will be a High Pinion.

And yes, with that rear axle 4.56 is as good as it gets, though really most people go 4.56 with 33" tires anyways.

Another important point you should pick up from the threads posted above is that XJ 8.25s came with two different spline counts, either 27 or 29 splines. Make certain you determine which you have before ordering anything.

Cruzin Illusion said:
That is a low pinion Dana 30 and because it's a low pinion means it has to be a 2000 or 2001 making it a 29 splined 8.25.

Ok, I'll bow down to your crazy XJ identification skills if you can explain to me how you can tell that’s a LP D30 from these pictures. What's your trick? I have to look at the acctual Pinion and go, yup, its hanging down low, or visa versa.

Okay, you can't tell where the pinion is, just from looking at the cover.
And you can just barely make out a pinion location from the pic of the rear.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that since his profile says he owns a 2000 XJ, it's gonna have a low pinon.
And because it's a '97+, it will have 29 spline shafts in the 8.25.
Even if his profile didn't reveal what year it is, you can tell by the front air dam and gas tank that it's a late model.
What do I win?:yelclap:

C'mon, I expected more from you people.:shhh:

hintonsooner said:
What do I win?:yelclap:

C'mon, I expected more from you people.:shhh:

A big hug, but since coaldust started the thread he has to give it too ya. :)

Can't believe it never a cured to me to look at his profile.

I'm alright to give hugs out! You have to come to Calgary to get it though.... it's a little cold here... TONS of snow... i'm going to throw up some snow pics later tonight...

Coaldust said:
I'm alright to give hugs out! You have to come to Calgary to get it though.... it's a little cold here... TONS of snow... i'm going to throw up some snow pics later tonight...

Wait a minute, Snow run AND a hug? Dude, I'm there!

You can also pick it is a low pinion D30 by the level of the fill plug. Low pinion one are noticeably lower than the centre line of the axle than a high pinion which is very close to it.

Back