• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holes from flares

WholeLottaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have Bushwackers installed, and like everyone says, the second I tap them on something on the trail, they'll explode. Well, it happened. I was thinking of ditching the flares for something else. The only problem is that now I have all of these holes in my rear doors and quarter. Any ideas on how to cover these up or fill them?

WholeLottaXJ said:
I have Bushwackers installed, and like everyone says, the second I tap them on something on the trail, they'll explode. Well, it happened. I was thinking of ditching the flares for something else. The only problem is that now I have all of these holes in my rear doors and quarter. Any ideas on how to cover these up or fill them?
Small rubber plugs? Silicone? Weld and paint? I dunno, get creative. I'd just plug them up with something solid.

yep you could weld then a little bondo sand then some paint will look like new.probably more than you wana do though.

On the rear just cut below the spot weld and use a small hammer to bend the rest up. Cut some slits in the corners and the fender bends and rolls up so neat you can't tell it's been cut. Trick is to tap it up slow and controlled.
Get some duplicolor to touch up the paint. On the front the trick is to grind your cut slow as to not burn the paint. Then just paint the edge black with model train paint. The forem moderator nazzi won't like this topic because it's in the archive.

Stumpalump said:
On the rear just cut below the spot weld and use a small hammer to bend the rest up. Cut some slits in the corners and the fender bends and rolls up so neat you can't tell it's been cut. Trick is to tap it up slow and controlled.
Get some duplicolor to touch up the paint. On the front the trick is to grind your cut slow as to not burn the paint. Then just paint the edge black with model train paint. The forem moderator nazzi won't like this topic because it's in the archive.
What's that got to do with Bushwhacker holes? And you probably shouldn't be calling the moderator a Nazi, or for that matter saying this topic is in the archives only. A fender trim topic comes up almost weekly.

Starscream said:
What's that got to do with Bushwhacker holes? And you probably shouldn't be calling the moderator a Nazi, or for that matter saying this topic is in the archives only. A fender trim topic comes up almost weekly.
You right my bad and the nazzies are mostly on the tractor website I hang out on. I had holes in my 98 from the factory flair and I thought he ment the same holes.

I was thinking of the Rusty's flares only because I need flares to be legal. Maybe I can mount them on the door like the BW's were and just cut where the door opens.

I really like the way these came out. I had TJ flares but I cut the back ones weird and it had that "hat" look to it, I hated that. Do they extend all the way to the bottom?

XJ008.jpg

I have a black jeep, therefor I just filled them with black silicone. Quick and dirty job, but doesn't look too bad and has lasted over a year.

Here are pis of my front rustys flares(rear flares are stock still)I like them a lot you get to cut alot more than I thought. I have a 4.5" RE lift with 32/11.5 tires.(click to make bigger)

Last edited:
Wow those look sweet. It seems they have the same inherent problem as BW's where if you don't have at least 33's the tires seem small. My 31's look like little donuts. What do you plan on doing in the rear? I really like the way they look. How did you attach those?

I am just going to keep the rear stock for now but when I go with bigger flares i will go with the TJ ones. Rustys flares attach with rivits that is what all those little silver dots are around the flare.

Last edited:
I have a set of abused bushwackers if anyone wants them. They looks decent, but I wouldn't put them on a show truck. They've been ripped off several times now and I'm just sick of them........... :badpc:

I'm going to cut my truck up to look more like the phantom fendered TJ/YJs.....

:D

Thanks for the comments on my jeep WholelottaXJ(the white onein post 10), I really like my TJ flares. I do believe because of how much you can cut when you put them on, the TJ flares will hide the bushwacker holes. The TJ flares are definatly not invulnerable to trail damage as you can see in the other thread showing my front flare, but when you can buy complete sets on ebay for $60.00 shipped its not that much to replace them.

And on another note, If you decide to put the front turn lamps in your flares you can get GM truck license lamp sockets to fit them (found getting TJ sockets are nearly impossible). Just tap them into one of your other lamps.

Good luck.

Back