• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the random floating bolt..

xj jak

NAXJA Forum User
ok this is boggling me to no end..today i was replacing the rear shocks on my 88 it sat for 5 years in the AZ sun and the bushings were shot..anyway, there is a hole in frame just inside the front leaf mount on the "U" type rail... well i have a bolt in the there..wierd part is i cant figure where it came from or HOW it got there since there is nothing that should be attached to this "useless hole" in the frame, i can feel the back side of the leaf mount when i stick my finger in there and that bolt is there...WHAT AND WHY IS THIS BOLT DOING IN THE FRAME FLOATING AROUND. I NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE BUT NOW WITH THE NEW SHOCKS I HEAR IT RATTLING AROUNG AND ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY SINCE I CANT REMOVE IT DUE TO THE FACT I CAN ONLY GET THE THEDDED PART OUT THE ACTUAL HEAD ON IT WONT EVEN FIT THROUGH THE HOLE.. ANYONE ELSE EVER HAVE THIS PROB.. THANKS GUYS
JAK:flame: :helpme:

Never had the problem, but since you can get the threaded end out, could you try to thread a nut onto it?
It's not really a solution, but it would stop the rattling.
If you could thread it up about halfway with your fingers, you could then use a pair of vice grips to hold the bolt while you tighten the nut down.
Just a suggestion. :dunno:

I can't picture it, don't have my '88 with me tonight, but can you enlarge the hole to get it out? If it is in the tube of the frame, I think you could get to it if you remove the rear bumper and use a magnet on the end of a long rod. A lot of work though for a loose bolt. How about just pull the threaded part through and tighten a nut on it, leave it there?

Yeah, it was probably for a hitch. I've put a couple of them on and they are a pain in the butt. They go in through the back where the bumper is with a fish wire and if it gets pulled off the wire it's not fun.

Expanding foam is probably a bad idea, that'll just trap moisture in there.

It's entirely possible that the bolt has been in there since assembly at the factory. I've got a socket in one side that's been rattling around for 5 years now.

Pictures???? They are worth a 1000 words!!!!!

Back