• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!!

scarboy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm fine now but about 30 min ago I went offroading. I ended up getting mud in my ALT. and got towed home by a buddy. He jumped me off and I sprayed water in the alt and now it runs fine. but before I got towed home I tried to jump it off and it ran really crappy for a while but it ran And when I put it in drive it felt like the tranny was slipping. the motor was barley revving and it wasnt moving. any insight on the problem would be great but it runs and drives fine now....any way to prevent it from happening again?

If you had to jump because the battery was dead, and the alternator wasn't charging, it's possible that the problem was simply the characteristic problem Mopar electronics have with bad batteries. They don't like the voltage either too low or too high - the latter sometimes happens when you boost a battery so dead it can't take a charge, and the alternator ends up feeding the system without the battery as a filter.

It's also possible that whatever situation got your alternator filled with mud also got your throttle position sensor or other electronics wet, and that could affect shifting. You're lucky then if everything dried well.

I don't know any easy cure for mud in the alternator except to watch out for deep mud. I think some people have moved it up to where the AC compressor is, but of course you don't get AC then.

Toi get mud out of an alternator....the easy way.

1. start Jeep, or leave it running.
2. crawl under Jeep....make sure it ain't gonna move.
3. Protect eyes.
4. SMACK end of alternator with a tool, smartly. Not the pulley end genius. :D
5. Continue your days fun.

Rev

Back