• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE And Shims Question

M4Madness

NAXJA Forum User
After adding a 3.5" RE lift kit (which netted 5" all around) to my '96 XJ, I've got vibes from hell. I had a guy crawl under it and take some measurements with an angle finder: TC output shaft - 3*; driveshaft - 20*; pinion - 9*. I then called up Tom Wood and ordered a HD SYE kit and driveshaft. He said he'd also include 6* shims. My question is: could he accurately tell what shim I would need once the SYE is installed by using my current measurements?

Sounds about right ans long and you not running a longer shackle too. At 5.5" of lift I ran a 6 degree shim and had no more vibes. I'm sure Tom knows his stuff. Experience is golden. Based on the information you gave him he should be able to get it right.

According to everything I've read, you want the driveshaft angle to be 15* or less. Assuming that the SYE will bring my driveshaft from 20* down to 15*, then adding 6* shims will bring my pinion up to 15*. This would put my pinion exactly in line with my driveshaft, while it should be around 2* lower -- which would require 4* shims.

This is my daily driver, so I can't afford to get the SYE and shims installed only to find out that I have to tear it down again to swap 4* shims for the 6* shims that shipped with my SYE kit. I definitely have to add some shims, so they might as well be the right ones from the start.

M4Madness said:
According to everything I've read, you want the driveshaft angle to be 15* or less. Assuming that the SYE will bring my driveshaft from 20* down to 15*, then adding 6* shims will bring my pinion up to 15*. This would put my pinion exactly in line with my driveshaft, while it should be around 2* lower -- which would require 4* shims.

This is my daily driver, so I can't afford to get the SYE and shims installed only to find out that I have to tear it down again to swap 4* shims for the 6* shims that shipped with my SYE kit. I definitely have to add some shims, so they might as well be the right ones from the start.

i have run RE 3.5" leaf packs on 2 different XJs; 98, 92, and getting ready to put them on a 99 with 4* shims. the previous two XJs had no vibes with the 4* shims and the re 3.5" packs - the 4* shims were perfect. just my $.02

Back