• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Test Conector on a Renix?

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I have found these 3 conectors with cover on them so far.
2522672_10_full.jpg

2522672_11_full.jpg

2522672_12_full.jpg

2522672_13_full.jpg

2522672_15_full.jpg

Now the last pic is of a little blue covered connector on the drivers side rite behind the head lamp and in front of the air box.
Does anyone know what they are for? (boy I hope 5-90 reads this one)

The two yellow cap covered connectors on the right side are the test connectors. The blue one behind the headlight is a relay, possibly for the aux fan, but the pic is cropped to tight to be sure.

What year is this XJ?

The blue thing is the fog lamp relay.
What do you want to know about the other two?

They are test connectors, but that year don't store codes, so very expensive testing equipment are need to use them.

PM me with a email address and I will send you a Renix FSM

Last edited:
about the only thing seful for those test connectors is a few that you can get at with a multimeter, fuel pump voltage for instance.

Ayuh.

The ones with the yellow caps are the D1 and D2 connectors for connecting a diagnostic reader. Since RENIX does not store DTCs, and is "pre-OBD," you are limited in your use of scan tools. The only ones I can think of are the MT2500 (Snap-On,) and the DRB-II and MS1700 (ChryCo and AMC, I think.)

The blue "connector" isn't - it's a relay. I don't have one right there on any of my rigs, but I don't have OEM fog/driving lamps, so that guess is probably correct. (No, I can't read the moulding in the pic. I do, however, recognise the pattern - which is all that's really needed anyhow...) The aux fan relay is usually on the fenderwell, back between the ballast resistor (tan thing) and the EGR solenoid (black thing with vacuum lines on it.) It's also a DIN relay anyhow - I think all of the relays on the RENIX (and probably later) are standard DIN relays, which makes logistics a bit easier. I also use DIN relays for electrical mods, to keep the supply chain simple. (Same reason I use ATC fuses for light electrical protection, and I pick a light bulb I already keep in the spares bin anyhow - usually #194.)

How do I know it's a relay? Look at the top of the thing - that's the internal schematic moulded into it (should look the same as the blue box in the closeup of D1 & D2.) That's a Bosch DIN relay, avaialable pretty much anywhere for somewhere around ten bucks. You use them all over the place - so you may as well keep a couple of spares of the relays in your spare fuses and light bulbs box.

There is some diagnostic access through D1 and D2 for a multimeter, perhaps I'll scan a pinout and put up some tests on WiP one of these days. Just haven't gotten around to that yet...

Multimeter test pins worth knowing (Renix only) and checking during trouble shooting are:

D1:
Pin 1 = Tachometer signal (CPS signal???!!!!:sunshine:)
Pin 3 = ECU ground
Pin 5 = battery (+)
Pin 6 = Fuel pump (+)

D2:
Pin 3 = Latch Relay -???*
Pin 4 = Ignition
Pin 5 = B+ Latch *
Pin 6 = A/C clutch
Pin 7 = Ignition ground!!!
Pin 8 = Sensor(s) ground!!!!!
Pin 9 = Oxygen sensor heater (+)
Pin 11 = Shift lamp

The rest are either not used (empty), ECU input/output data lines (D2, pin 1 & 2) and Auto transmisson (D2-pin15) data lines.

cool thx for the info. I have been really busy buying and moving into a house the last couple of weeks! Oh and did I mention remodeling it also.
I should be able to get the testing parameters for those pins in my FSM.
Thx langer but I got one of those already :)

since this is one of the few places that seem to know things like this. does anyone know what this pin is?
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

______ ___
|*** **| |**|
|*** **| |**|
|**@**| |**|

this is on an 89 xj larado 4.0 wth no mods.
the reason I ask is that I had to hook up a twelve volt (switched) battery power lead to it to get the fuel pump (lift pump?) to prime and crank the engine. once running I can swith it off and everything is fine it only needs power when cranking

thegdmf said:
since this is one of the few places that seem to know things like this. does anyone know what this pin is?
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

______ ___
|*** **| |**|
|*** **| |**|
|**@**| |**|

this is on an 89 xj larado 4.0 wth no mods.
the reason I ask is that I had to hook up a twelve volt (switched) battery power lead to it to get the fuel pump (lift pump?) to prime and crank the engine. once running I can swith it off and everything is fine it only needs power when cranking

It appears to be pin 9, which is listed as the O2 sensor heater.

I cant see the image thegdmf

sorry about the image problem, my home side sever went down and it tried to default to my docs.

also I checked it today and noticed I marked the wrong pin, it should be..

_______ ___
|***** | |**|
|***** | |**|
|*@***| |**|

in my original post I had marked the pin one to the right :banghead:
sorry for the trouble

no problem thx for the update:)

thegdmf said:
sorry about the image problem, my home side sever went down and it tried to default to my docs.

also I checked it today and noticed I marked the wrong pin, it should be..

_______ ___
|***** | |**|
|***** | |**|
|*@***| |**|

in my original post I had marked the pin one to the right :banghead:
sorry for the trouble

Interesting my 1987 Renix FSM says pin 12 (the one you marked @ ) is "Not used". But you have an 89, so I wonder if something changed that year???

Anybody got an 89 Renix manual around?

Ecomike said:
Interesting my 1987 Renix FSM says pin 12 (the one you marked @ ) is "Not used". But you have an 89, so I wonder if something changed that year???

Anybody got an 89 Renix manual around?

In 89 was the addition of ABS which they changed the pin locations up a little bit.

Evil88 said:
In 89 was the addition of ABS which they changed the pin locations up a little bit.

So what is pin 12 in the D2 connector used for in the 89?

Ecomike said:
So what is pin 12 in the D2 connector used for in the 89?

I have my 89 manual in my lap and it says D2 12 for the 4.0l is the
B+ Latched Relay (Coil Feed) ; 2.5l is Coolant Temp Sensor

Evil88 said:
I have my 89 manual in my lap and it says D2 12 for the 4.0l is the
B+ Latched Relay (Coil Feed) ; 2.5l is Coolant Temp Sensor

Thanks evil88, very much, now I can get rid of the toggle inside:woohoo:

hmm the B+ latched relay is still good ( swapped it with the fuel pump relay next to it) still won't crank unless I apply voltage to connecter D2 12

Back