• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floating the Valves?

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
What does it sound like when you float the valves? Or what exactly happens?
The reason I ask is because if I am over 3000 rpm I get a metalic knocking/ticking sound through the exhaust. Now I dont make it a habit of running over 3000 rpm but I like to play sometimes. At first I was just thinking it had something to do with my exhaust hitting on something but I just changed all of that out the other day and it is still doing it so it has to be something else. It only does it if I am on it hard and between 3 to 4 thousand rpm. Any Ideas?

Sounds like you've got a lifter that's on it's last legs. The only way to know for certain is to pull them and check each one.

Found this for ya....
6. HYDRAULIC LIFTERS. A clicking or tapping noise almost always is an indication of a malfunctioning hydraulic lifter. Some noise is normal when the engine is cold, but this should disappear as the engine warms up. Some of the causes of hydraulic lifter noise can be dirty oil, inadequate oil pressure or improper oil weight, water in the oil, too low or too high oil level, or incorrect initial adjustment. If just one lifter is noisy, it should be removed and inspected for wear.
The page can be found here.

I know it's been posted before, but this a must read.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/cam_construction.html

97 Green Machine said:
Does it sound kind of like marbles rattling around in a tin can?

thats a good Question!!!!! if it is, try a higher grade of gas!

Dose it make this same noise in neutral as well as when ya got it in gear and the peddle to the floor? it could be a broken valve spring? all tho i would thing that it would show it self at a much lower rpm......Maybe even at idle

Flash.

A higher grade of fuel will answer your question but I will go out on a limb and say YES.

Flash.

floating a valve kinda sounds like a long screaming WWAAAWAAAWWAAAAWAA sound. while i've only done it twice while playing on solid ice, i was to busy having fun sliding the jeep that i never got a look at the rpm.

scorpio_vette said:
floating a valve kinda sounds like a long screaming WWAAAWAAAWWAAAAWAA sound. while i've only done it twice while playing on solid ice, i was to busy having fun sliding the jeep that i never got a look at the rpm.

Floating the valves............or perhaps bounching the engine off the rev limiter.

not all jeeps have rev limiters. my 95XJ doesn't have one. i got a budy who has owned 3 different YJ's, and 2 of them didn't have rev limiters. 1 of them did. i've been trying to find something that would determine for sure why some did and some did not have rev limiters, but so far i haven't been able to figure anything out.

Back