• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving to san diego

Bentonedge

NAXJA Forum User
well hello everyone. names ben but everyone calls me tim. i have been on these boards for some long time now. i am getting moved to san diego. i should be showing up some time in mid march. been wheel xjs for about 5 years now on my 10th one now. going to need to learn how to wheel rocks casue grew up in da mud. just want to get to say hi. hi.

Hi Hi....

Welcome to Sourthern California... SoCal.....

You'll get a chance to wheel different terrains here...

Elias
Eh-lee-us

about how far is it to some sweet spots. i know i am in it. i am from a woods of michigan and north carolina
cali. wow. out of my league

oh yeah i can't spell for crap.

Welcome Ben, er Tim....

What part of San Diego are you moving to? There are several areas within an hours drive and tons more within a 2 to 3 hours drive. We have alot of Jeepers down that way and throughout SOCAL.

Tell us more about your 10th XJ... what mods, lift, gears, etc...

Bentonedge said:
out of my league
Two things you need to know.

1. The XJ community in SoCal is terrific. Between NAXJA and SoCalXJ.com you'll get all the knowledge and all the events you'll ever want.

2. Your XJ ain't built strong enough for Johnson Valley.

No biggie. Download the Google Toolbar. It's got a spellcheck button. Too cool.

not sure where i am moving to just yet. i am getting stationed in miramar. will be looking for something small in a 15 mintue drive. i'm a marine

my xj is a 2000 blue sport. got about RE 3.5 coils and 2" BB and 3" OME and 1.75 re shackles. running some timberland a/t. 33s right now stock axles. open.

with me i will be bringing a set of axles i just picked up.
d44 from a bronco. 5.38s spool new bushing, u-joints, moroso straps
sw d60 5.38 spool neededing a brake set up.
got some BOR8" leafs for the back.

thats is what i have so far. now just need to build long arms or i might use the RK setup. then a lot of trimming. will redo the rear wheel wells. then some big rubber.

i also have a 84 cj-8 on 39.5s, stock 93 zj, and a 82 cj-8 that is stock for now.

Bentonedge said:
not sure where i am moving to just yet. i am getting stationed in miramar. will be looking for something small in a 15 mintue drive. i'm a marine

my xj is a 2000 blue sport. got about RE 3.5 coils and 2" BB and 3" OME and 1.75 re shackles. running some timberland a/t. 33s right now stock axles. open.

thats is what i have so far. now just need to build long arms or i might use the RK setup. then a lot of trimming. will redo the rear wheel wells. then some big rubber.

i also have a 84 cj-8 on 39.5s, stock 93 zj, and a 82 cj-8 that is stock for now.

The biggest problem I see for you will be parking all of those Jeeps...:doh:

Bentonedge said:

Big rubber? For what? 33" tires and lockers in both ends will get you through 99% of the trails in California. The bigger the rubber you have the more parts you're going to break.

Bentonedge said:

I hide my poor spelling by using proper caps and punctuation!
Okay, so I am a bit older than most of you....well, Andy is older than I am. :D
If your XJ is going to be your daily driver you won't be needing those other axels.
Sell them to ME!
BTW we HATE the military out here, especially the marines. ;)

Rick

Last edited:
Andy Steiner said:
Big rubber? For what? 33" tires and lockers in both ends will get you through 99% of the trails in California. The bigger the rubber you have the more parts you're going to break.

X2.... ther are many folks out here on 35's and some on 37" or bigger, but most are running around 4" to 5" of lift and 33's. Of course we have stockers and everything in between. But like Andy said, 33" will get though just about anything out here , except areas in Johnson Valley (though there are a few guys that have done the hardest trails on 33's, but had some vehicle damage) BTW, JV is the exception out here when it comes to rig preparedness. Almost everything else, including the Rubicon can be ran on 33's or less.

Welcome into town (well, when you get here). I am in Mira Mesa which is a couple miles north of the base so you will be close. Hummm... finding a place that's within 15 minutes of Miramar. Hope you get paid well as it won't be cheap, if you want any place with a garage. Figure a starting price of about $1200 a month and go up. I think the average house rents for about $1600-$1800 a month. That's why a lot of condos/appartments are around. Problem with most of those is no garage and no working on cars in the lots.

Good luck and see ya around.

yeah got final orders today. i have to check on on the 9th or march so after that i will be around a lot. i will be moving out in town. yeah i figured a place witha garage was going to get pricy. another car will be bought with in a few months or a bike. either way. few questions.
what are the lift laws in cali?
will i have to pass cali vehicle regs?
is every one a hippy?
crap did i already tell you guys i was a marine. dang it.

Andy Steiner said:

ah yes the why so big. at the time the parts just kinda fell in to my lap. i have read a lot of vettboys build up. i have a 92 that i had at 3.5 lift and 35s and loved it. wheeled great. now i am thinking of just a little more lift and the biffer tires. i mean hey if i find that with my axles and what ever tire i find to go with is way to much for the trails then i can always bump it down. big lift parts always are selling good.

but for now i want like super low CG, tires, and lockers.

Jump This said:
I hide my poor spelling by using proper caps and punctuation!
Okay, so I am a bit older than most of you....well, Andy is older than I am. :D
If your XJ is going to be your daily driver you won't be needing those other axels.
Sell them to ME!
BTW we HATE the military out here, especially the marines. ;)

Rick

yeah so selling may axles. not happening. it has taken a toll on my just to arange to get them to cali.

Bentonedge said:
what are the lift laws in cali?
If you have a disco truck pulling a $100K boat to the river for spring break, you need a minimum of 18" of lift.

will i have to pass cali vehicle regs?
If you want, but as active duty, you can keep your vehicle licensed in your home state. Might even be a cheaper option.

is every one a hippy?
No. Every third hottie is a slut, unless she won't put out for you, then she's a bitch.

crap did i already tell you guys i was a marine. dang it.
Yes. Still looking for the correct emoticon. :jester: party1: :wantyou:

Andy Steiner said:
If you want, but as active duty, you can keep your vehicle licensed in your home state. Might even be a cheaper option.

No. Every third hottie is a slut, unless she won't put out for you, then she's a bitch.

Yes. Still looking for the correct emoticon. :jester: party1: :wantyou:

yeah i will be keeping it michigan tagged.

oh well i will not be looking for a women. got a girl. she lets me spend 49% of my time working on the jeep. so shes a keeper. the place i will be looking for is also for her come may. she will be moving in with me. so it has to be a kinda nice place.

Back