• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Rumble...Help!

ltkaknm

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I have a 1990 XJ Laredo 2 Door 4.0 inline 6 and recently had the clutch replaced. Since I had it done there seems to be quite a bit of knocking coming from the transmission when I am idling. There is also a noticeable thump when I start and stop the engine. There also has been a definite increase in the loudness of the transmission. I cannot discern where the rattle/thump is coming from when I am under the car and it seems to be more audible inside the vehicle under the gearshift. Before I had the new clutch put on it was relatively quiet!!!!

Could it be the transmission or engine mounts?

Worried in Utah,

Thanks,

LTK

The exhaust pipe passes in relatively close proximity to the cross-member support and this separation is affected by manipulation of the exhaust pipes as well as wear of the rubber tranny bushings. Check to see if the exhaust pipe is touching or nearly touching as this could account for the knock/rumble you are hearing particularly when starting or shutting off the engine.

does it make noise when the clutch is in or out?
I'd suspect the throout bearing was not installed properly.

The noise primarily occurs when idling with the clutch in. I had some people listen to it and they suggested that the exhaust might be touching the transmission. I am taking it in next week.

LTK

ltkaknm said:
The noise primarily occurs when idling with the clutch in. I had some people listen to it and they suggested that the exhaust might be touching the transmission. I am taking it in next week.

LTK
sounds like a throwout bearing, as it only turns when the clutch is in and the trans input shaft isn't moving.

Back