• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

softer or harnder coil springs

oscarxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this is the question? Last summer I did a costum 4 link in the back of my 90 cherokee. I used stock coil springs from a cherokee in the back and it flexs great, but now the front doesn't flex to its full potential now. The front suspension is rustys long arm with there 6.5" coils. So what could I try? Softer coils up or harder coils in the back. I want the flex to be even in the front has will in the back.

Thanks

how is your rig on sidhilling does it feel unstable. how about the stock rear sway bar in the back to control to body some. most people with links and coil springs/overs f/r run some type of sway bar/roll control.

if the rear is perfect and carries weight like you like and flexes well and the rig feels stable (could be from stiffer front springs) you may want to think about softer springs up front you need to find the ratio of your current spring and then compair it to others to find a happy place.:rof:

You could also compensate somewhat using stiff shocks in the rear.

Balance Grasshopper balance! I run shorter stiff springs all the way around and flex well Not as well as I could with longer softer springs. But both ends are working together to get it done. I tow a lot and like my spring for this as well as I just don't like a sloppy setup on the street. But as always it's your rig and you must find your balance. How gay was that!

Last edited:
I hear that rusty's coils are about the stiffest on the market. i run rubicon Express coils for a ZJ and they still flex great. maybe try to get ahold of some RE coils for an XJ and they will be even softer. very close to the stock spring rate.
also...i wouldn't try to compensate by running a stiffer shock.

backpack96 said:
I hear that rusty's coils are about the stiffest on the market.

Perhaps. His supposedly 150lb/in coils (which I ran) were bloody absurd. Assuming that my stock were 126lb/in (IIRC) I find it hard to believe that they were actually 150s. I'd hate to try the 180s.

FWIW, the coils he sells are the same as several other vendors.

If you thing the Rustys coils are stiff. I guess you have never tried the SJ ones. I love my rustys coils. I had the same problem when I went coils out back. I was using 8" SJ coils up front and stock xj fronts in the rear. I put the stock sway bar in the rear and made my own links for it. Worked amazing. That little sway bar does not limit travel at all, and makes a huge difference without making the rear really stiff for driving, you know, the same reason the factory uses them...

there site is down so i wasn’t able to double check this but i believe both rustys and re coils have the same spring rate and are technically make by the same manufacture. so i think that settles the rustys vs re arguement. although that doesnt solve the problem at hand.

a_boy_named_sue said:
there site is down so i wasn’t able to double check this but i believe both rustys and re coils have the same spring rate and are technically make by the same manufacture. so i think that settles the rustys vs re arguement. although that doesnt solve the problem at hand.

No, actually they're quite different.

Back