• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power door locks

Paul R

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 XJ (Pioneer) has power door locks. All the solenoids work, but will not unlock any of the doors. The lock/unlock on all of them are pretty tight. Any ideas on how to loosen up the locks, or where to lube so they will work would be appreciated. Or, do I need to find replacement sloenoids??

Thanks,
Paul

Hmm...

My locks do the same thing. I'll be anxious to see any remedies that folks have. I know that when I had my Jeep Krown rust-checked it helped them somewhat, but not the rear ones.

It seems to me that they're harder to lock/unlock when it gets cold; while there's no comparison between the bitter colds we get up here in the frosty North and the balmy weather you get, have you noticed any time it's worse than others?

:)

I have not noticed any difference, but the coldest morning I have drive the Jeep in was about 37, so not near as cold as it gets up there.

I do have one lock that works, it is the passenger front. It didn't work when I bought the Jeep, but moving it back and forth loosened it up enough to finally work.

I have found plastic replacement actuators for about $20.00 per pair shipped. But, I would prefer to get these working if possible.

Anyone have aby ideas??

Paul

This worked for me and obviously for a whole bunch of others: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1874.

The latest reference to this was about five days ago in the OEM tech forum. This is a fairly easy fix and the relays only cost a couple/three bucks each. No more difficult than changing the actuators and then possibly finding that you still don't have enough current to reliably operate them.

The right rear lock on mine is still a problem on occasion, particularly when it is cold. The only way I know of to lubricate these things is to take the interior panels off and get a bit of grease (or spray lubricant) on the pivot points.

Back