• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head gasket

xjfreak40

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 4.0L HO with a blown head gasket. I searched for the info I wanted, but nobody seems to have the same question I do. I have a renix motor and head in my garage. Will I be able to swap the renix bottom end in under my HO head? I know the ports, and other goodies are different for the heads, which is a shame since the renix head has already been rebuilt. So...
How resonable will it be to put the renix bottom end in the car, while I'm waiting to get the HO head back from the machine shop? (there are 210K miles on it, so...I'm having it rebuilt as long as it's already coming out.) Will the HO head go onto a renix block?:dunno: any modifications needed? I can't think why it wouldn't, but thought I would run my wild hair through here, and see what you guys think.
Thanks for your help.

Yes, It'll work. I just did the exact same thing to my '91, it now has a '89 short block and tranny and the '91 ho head rebuilt and re-installed. Everything bolted right up, there are a few minor mods you have to do to other things (don't remember any on the head), but they were very minor. If you're skilled enough to do the swap you'll have no trouble figuring out the rest.

One thing that comes to mind was the coil is bolted to the block on the 91 and on the 89 it's on the fenderwell. I just bolted it to the bracket that holds the overflow bottle and it works fine.

That's all I can think of offhand.

There's no knock sensor on the H.O. block, but there is on the older model 4.0 litres. I don't know offhand if you'll need to block it off, but I think you can just put the sensor in there and cut the wires off.

:)

I just cut the wires off the knock sensor and left it in place so I didn't have to worry about re-sealing the hole or having a leak.

Probably the most important thing about this is to be sure and re-use your 91 flywheel which has the correct toner ring to go with your 91 crank position sensor. Very important!!!! Trust me.... I learned the hard way, had it all in, wouldn't start, had to pull tranny and swap flywheel's, started right up! Rookie mistake :doh:

thanks guys, that is good news! the renix bottom end I have only has 120k on it. It also has a high performance cam already installed. It will be much easier to put IT underneath the rebuilt HO head, than to re-use the HO motor. (Not to mention, if I was going to re-use the HO bottom end, I would want to rebuild it for sure...so this will save me quite a bit of time/$$$)
!!!THANKS!!!

Back