• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chime module removal

Hurley

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried everything to get teh damn thing out and it won't come.

it wiggles and feels like its coming a bit, but its just stuck.

I know there is a release on the left side, but can someone explain in the dumbest terms possible how to release it.

Which year? On the pre 97's it just pulls out. On the post 97's I believe it is a small little red clip that has to be released before it can be pulled out.

Absdad said:
Which year? On the pre 97's it just pulls out. On the post 97's I believe it is a small little red clip that has to be released before it can be pulled out.

ahh sh-t... forgot the most important thing.. 89 xj

how do i release it? pull the clip away from the module? or push it in? etc...

I just wrapped mine in bubble wrap and a piece of duct tape. It's still there but very quiet.

Are you sure? That is usually the resisitor coil in the back of the headlight switch. The ceramic guide for the resistor coil breaks and/or the coil gets tied in a knot, then the coil grounds to the case.
I tried to take mine out, got tired of the noise, gave up and packed it in insulation.
The tailight fuse (num 7 ?) 10 amp, then to the resisitor coil, then back to the 5 amp instr illum fuse (num 9?) then to instru lights and others.

This seems like the easier thing to try first... yank the module... then if that doesnt do it, i'll try the resistor coil.

i tired pulling the tab to the left but it still isnt releasing.....

such a pain of a spot eh?? my hand barely fits in there..

When you turn the headlight switch knob (dimmer), you can often feel some extra resistance (kinked or knoted up) or not enough resistance (broken) and it turns way to easy, when the resistor coil is bad.
If it shorts, it works something like a toaster, it will sure enough melt things.

Back