• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the Heck is this? Pictures...

Coaldust

NAXJA Forum User
I just changed my air filter yesterday... Everything went smooth.. I like how it looks and have plans for the empty space.

IMG_3138.jpg

There is just something I noticed when i started up my engine.

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

This little guy made a crazy whisteling sound and was sucking air in? Is it supose to be attached to something, or is that what it is suspose to be doing? If someone knows PLEASE let me know, cause I am scared to drive anywhere ...!

Thanks so much!

Ooo, yeah, that has to go somewhere. That's a vacuum fitting and it'll run like crap with that open.

Did it go to the old airbox? There's a few vacuum lines that usually need to be relocated.

Heh heh. You're kinda "green" when it comes to cars ain't ya...... :D

No worries big fella - it's the vacuum port that probably used to go to the air box you just removed.

Just buy a plug for the port, or cut a short piece of hose and plug the end with a bolt.

You'll be just fine driving it like it is to go get the plug, but don't run it that way for long.

Thanks HELLEAHEEP... Yes I am "green" as far as engines go... Just from what I learned on this site I have been able to do a whole suspension left, cutouf fenders, and much more... I am still learning about engines! Trying my hardest! Thanks again!

you need to NOT plug that completely off..

--its similar to the PCV connection common on most modern autos..

you simply need to add a fitting to the NEW air-tube and connect a rubber hose to it, so that the incomming air into that inlet is also filtered by you're new cold-air intake filter..

surely you can find some sorta abs 1/2" connector at a hardware store to add to the air-tube..

take a look at any of the aftermarket airtube/cold air intakes for 97+ xjs and you'll see what i'm refering to..
the OEM air-box did (or should have had a rubber hose connecting to this inlet from the "filtered-air" part of the box..

Here's a pic from my 2001. There is a hard line coming from it and running back along the firewall to the other side of the engine bay to the cruise control unit.

If you don't have cruise, then just cap it. If you do have cruise, then there should be a hard line loose nearby.

IMG_1057-1.jpg

**edited** to add color code

Last edited:
If it's a 2000, you will more than likely set a check engine light if you drive it too long with that disconnected or open like that. I'd recomend either plugging it, or routing a hose back into your intake as suggested earlier before drinving to much.

I dont know what it is supposed to go to ,But if you do not run it to something or cap it off it will cause problems that is direct intake vaccum and it will cause you to run lean ( too much air not enough fuel).
Which can burn pistons and so forth .
Sean

OK. I double checked my engine bay and it appears that the line in my rig terminates here (red) and not the cruise control. (yellow) So, it depends on whether or not you have cruise, if you do, there should be three ports with three vacuum lines. If not, then that port was just capped off.

IMG_1058-1.jpg

**edited** to add color code

Last edited:
KSXJ said:
they did like 5-6 times.
Hey guys, I think he could probably just go someplace and buy a cap that fits over that port. Then he could just cap that port off and I bet it'd be fine that way. Almost like how it came from the dealer I would guess.

Back