• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ tailgate install

vetteboy

NAXJA Forum User
I posted a little bit about this in FiFo's buildup thread, but rather than continue to hijack it I figured I would just spill the beans here.

As part of my current buildup I chopped the rear portion of my XJ, and I wanted to have a functioning tailgate from a Comanche in place of the old tailgate. Here's a rough fitment of it:

tg1.jpg

The height of it works really well for doing this.

tg2.jpg

Here's the initial trimming.
DSC01458.JPG

The tailgate itself is 54.75" wide, which works out really nice, because the formed section behind the rear bumper on the XJ is also 54.75" wide. So the gate lines up perfectly just over the rear crossmember.

The main brace and support for the tailgate is set up flush against the edge of the rear crossmember. It'll be welded there and then integrated into the rear bumper reinforcements, and also along the edge of the revised wheelwell I made due to stretching the wheelbase back 6.5".

DSC01460.JPG

Here is the initial test-fit, with the support cut to match the profile of the tailgate:

DSC01461.JPG

Using two pieces of 16-ga sheetmetal, I filled the opening and tacked everything in place.

DSC01464.JPG

Fully welded:

DSC01465.JPG

DSC01468.JPG

After grinding...

DSC01469.JPG

DSC01470.JPG

Then after flap disc.

DSC01471.JPG

DSC01472.JPG

DSC01473.JPG

DSC01476.JPG

DSC01477.JPG

DSC01480.JPG

And test fitted with the tailgate, which is just sorta propped in there.

DSC01481.JPG

DSC01486.JPG

DSC01488.JPG

It still needs a little bit of filler here and there for the deeper grinding marks, and finish sanding all around, but overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Tomorrow I'll hopefully be mounting the light in and finishing off this side so I can start the other....then this weekend I'll be looking to have the tailgate fully functional & the rear cage half reinstalled.

I wish I could say that my tailgate is going to come out half that nice, but I don't think it will. I cut way too much sheet metal out for that. Yours is coming out awesome though. If you painted that tailgate to match it would look like it came off the factor floor that way.

Some more stuff from today...

Started the cutout for the light using a 2.5" hole saw:
DSC01491.JPG

DSC01501.JPG

Capped the top off...
DSC01502.JPG

DSC01504.JPG

DSC01505.JPG

DSC01506.JPG

...and added the last piece on the bottom, and mounted the light in place.

DSC01511.JPG

DSC01513.JPG

DSC01519.JPG

DSC01520.JPG

:)

All set to go for the other side now.

jeepnuts311 said:
now clean up that tailgate and get a new Jeep vinyl for it http://www.jeepsticker.com/

Yep - I definitely plan on it! The cage is painted silver so I think I'll be going with silver letters also to kinda tie everything together.

The tailgate is going to be a project by itself just to get it looking decent again...but the latch hardware etc all works fine.

Started the other side tonight:

(man, these look nasty when first put together)
DSC01522.JPG

DSC01523.JPG

DSC01524.JPG

DSC01525.JPG

DSC01526.JPG

Tomorrow I'll get the other tail light installed, and hopefully get the hardware setup for the tailgate. Then it's on to figuring out how to best re-install the rear cage.

SKIM said:
Looks very nice.

Thanks!

Been on a roll here the last few days, might as well keep it up.

Got the other taillight installed, the rest of the pieces done on the passenger side, and the tailgate is installed and functional.

DSC01527.JPG

DSC01528.JPG

(yes, I still have to clean up the roof line)

DSC01530.JPG

OMG it folds down

DSC01531.JPG

Quickly threw the rear cage half in. I have to remove about 1/4" from the passenger side connector between the C and B pillar; it doesn't let the gate close all the way on that side, hence the gap you see in this pic.

DSC01532.JPG

DSC01533.JPG

This is the clearance I have to work with...

DSC01534.JPG

(yeah, I designed the wheelwells and everything else with that in mind)

DSC01535.JPG

Started patching the fuel door thing too, then it got too late to run the grinder.

DSC01536.JPG

Nice work! You coulda put some old J Series tail-lights on there, similar size& flat but the LED's go with the tube better.

vetteboy said:
Thanks!

Been on a roll here the last few days, might as well keep it up.

Got the other taillight installed, the rest of the pieces done on the passenger side, and the tailgate is installed and functional.

DSC01527.JPG

DSC01528.JPG

(yes, I still have to clean up the roof line)

DSC01530.JPG

OMG it folds down

DSC01531.JPG

Quickly threw the rear cage half in. I have to remove about 1/4" from the passenger side connector between the C and B pillar; it doesn't let the gate close all the way on that side, hence the gap you see in this pic.

DSC01532.JPG

DSC01533.JPG

This is the clearance I have to work with...

DSC01534.JPG

(yeah, I designed the wheelwells and everything else with that in mind)

DSC01535.JPG

Started patching the fuel door thing too, then it got too late to run the grinder.

DSC01536.JPG
that is so sick. if you dont mind im gonna try and copy you. i was trying to figure out how to install a comanche tailgate. i was also looking at the old cj's but damn that looks good. how much you charge???

Smittty9785 said:
that is so sick. if you dont mind im gonna try and copy you. i was trying to figure out how to install a comanche tailgate. i was also looking at the old cj's but damn that looks good. how much you charge???

:lol: Do it up, man. That's why I post all this stuff is to give people ideas.

As far as charging....no way in hell I wanna do this again anytime soon, I just want this stupid thing to be done already. :gonnablow

DSC01162.JPG

Awesome fabwork. Would you mind if I post a link to this thread over on ComancheClub.com? I think some other MJ'ers would appreciate your recycling abilities :) Couple of us also have XJ's....might be an inspiration.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff in VA said:
Awesome fabwork. Would you mind if I post a link to this thread over on ComancheClub.com? I think some other MJ'ers would appreciate your recycling abilities :) Couple of us also have XJ's....might be an inspiration.
Thanks,
Jeff

Nope, go right ahead. I've always liked the MJs and this is kinda my little tribute to 'em.

damn you did an awesome job on that. planning on doing something along the same lines if i ever get enough time. cant wait to see what it looks like when you completely finish it

Great job! I like the color, and all the dents look cool. Maybe I should get a hammer to make mine look like I wheel it. But then when I finnally get to wheel, I'll need to get body work and a paint job. seriously, I realy do like it it looks cool.

Back