• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Spring Dilemma

WholeLottaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal, I currently have 3.5" RE coils up front and Daystar 1.75" spacers. It sat so ass high when I lifted it, that's why I added the spacers. I then have an ARB bumper and Warn M8000. This brought it down some and made the front end seem mushy. I want to sit at about 5-6 inches of lift on 33's and tighten up the ride a little. I was thinking about something with a higher spring rate. I've heard good things about the Skyjacker 6" coils. I figured that with the weight up front and their high spring rate, it will fit what I'm looking for.

Basically I'm looking for any suggestions to get around 5-6" of lift in my situation with a firmer ride, and for opinions on those coils.

Call Rubicon Express, get the 4.5" ZJ coils. Firm spring rate, and give ~5.5" of lift on an XJ without a heavy bumper and winch. I run them with a 1" spacer to sit at 6.5", the ride is great and they do well offroad. I've got a fairly heavy bumper and winch as well, they didnt soften the springs up noticibly.

Aren't the 4.5" ZJ springs and 5.5" XJ springs the same spring? RE 1345 if I'm not mistaken?

Maybe it's my shocks causing the mushy feeling. I have Skyjacker Hydros. I know they're cheap but they've done the job for a year already. I was looking at Bilstein 5150's. What valving would you reccommend?

Yes, you're correct on the 4.5" vs. 5.5" springs.

You're in holmdel? Got any pics of your rig? I've probably seen it around, I live in Red Bank.

WholeLottaXJ said:
Aren't the 4.5" ZJ springs and 5.5" XJ springs the same spring? RE 1345 if I'm not mistaken?

Maybe it's my shocks causing the mushy feeling. I have Skyjacker Hydros. I know they're cheap but they've done the job for a year already. I was looking at Bilstein 5150's. What valving would you reccommend?

I run 255/70, (although in 7100's) and feel its great offroad, and really stiff on the street. I tried 170/55 and thought it was too soft. If I never went offroad, I'd go softer.. but on a rig that sees the trail, would go firm.

And yes, the 4.5" ZJ springs are the 5.5" XJ springs. As such, they are very firm for an XJ and work well.

I know I've seen yours sitting on a trailer down on Swimming River. I work at Due Process during the summer so I drive that way every day.

100_0415.jpg

100_0522copy.jpg

cal said:
I run 255/70, (although in 7100's) and feel its great offroad, and really stiff on the street. I tried 170/55 and thought it was too soft. If I never went offroad, I'd go softer.. but on a rig that sees the trail, would go firm.

And yes, the 4.5" ZJ springs are the 5.5" XJ springs. As such, they are very firm for an XJ and work well.

I'd definitely like to stiffen up the front a bit. Sounds like 255/70 is for me. Are you impressed overall with the ride quality of the Bilsteins?

They are a little firm I think for street driving, but I can run washboard roads and whoops as fast as my little 4.0 will push.

So on the street, is the ride bone jarring? A lot of my driving is on the street until I get my bills in check and possibly pick up an economical DD, the Cherokee is my DD.

WholeLottaXJ said:
I know I've seen yours sitting on a trailer down on Swimming River. I work at Due Process during the summer so I drive that way every day.

Sounds about right...my buddy owns that shop/junkyard and that's where I do all the work on it, I've got it in one of the back bays right now. Poor thing hasn't seen street time since November '05 but hopefully that should change soon.

WholeLottaXJ said:
So on the street, is the ride bone jarring? A lot of my driving is on the street until I get my bills in check and possibly pick up an economical DD, the Cherokee is my DD.

I wouldnt says bone jarring, no. I switched to these from Rancho 9000's and usually ran them turned all the way to 'soft" on the street, so its a lot firmer than it used to be.. its all relative i guess.

vetteboy said:
Sounds about right...my buddy owns that shop/junkyard and that's where I do all the work on it, I've got it in one of the back bays right now. Poor thing hasn't seen street time since November '05 but hopefully that should change soon.

Sounds good, if you ever need a hand with anything just let me know.

Back